Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Greening Your Homes Electrical Power and Water Systems
Reload this Page >

Should a Rainwater Collection System include the foundation drains?

Old 11-06-15, 06:44 AM

Hi all.

Building a new house and planning to put in a tank and pump for rainwater collection. Obviously planning to run the gutter downspouts to the tank, but noticed the pipe running out from the house for the foundation drains, and wondered if that would be good to include as well. I guess my concern would be whether the silt and sediment that might be in the foundation drains would cause problems down the road.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-15, 07:17 AM
Provided the walls are backfilled properly with crushed stone, I think you will be fine using the water from the foundation drains. There will be some silt and soil in the water, but it will mostly settle out in the tank. May be quite a bit initially, but will decline over time. Some builders wrap the drain pipe with filter fabric which would help, although there is some concern about it getting clogged and reducing effectiveness of the drains eventually. Others line the trench with filter fabric, backfill with crushed rock, and then fold the fabric over the stone to keep dirt out of the stone.

Make provisions to occasionally clean out the tank and you will be good.

You will want to have a filter after your pump in any case, otherwise fine "stuff" in the water will plug up your sprinklers (assuming you will use this for irrigation).

And make sure if your tank fills the foundation drain water has a clear and easy path to drain, and that stuff is sloped such that there is no way for downspout water to make its way backwards to the foundation drains.

Old 11-06-15, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the response. Yes, it was backfilled with gravel and yes this will be for non-potable use. Sounds like I am good to go.

Thanks for the tips on location. I've got a lot of room around me and the land that I am building on has a nice sloping side yard where I can place the tank below the foundation and allow the overflow to run down the hill away from the house.