Replacement treads

Old 09-20-02, 10:13 AM
Mogilla
Visiting Guest
Replacement treads

I will be replacing pine treads on a stairway with oak treads. These will be stained and finished. What fasteners will be best? I have both a brad nailer and a finish nailer (18- and 16 guage, respectively) that can accommodate nails up to 2 1/2" long. Will one of these do the job? If not, what will be the best way to fasten the treads without having to use a lot of wood filler?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-02, 10:45 AM
Shouldn't make much difference. For filler, take some sawdust and mix it with wood glue to make a paste.

Old 09-20-02, 10:48 AM
Mogilla,

If you want the treads to be almost perfectly silent w/o squeaking, screw them instead. Counterbore holes for the screws and fill in with oak wooden plugs. No filler at all, just sand the plugs even with the tread.

fred

Old 09-30-02, 07:20 AM
rvitek
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by fewalt
Mogilla,

If you want the treads to be almost perfectly silent w/o squeaking, screw them instead. Counterbore holes for the screws and fill in with oak wooden plugs. No filler at all, just sand the plugs even with the tread.

fred
That's what I did - and it looks awesome. I used 3" deck screws, countersunk and pre-drilled. Went in like butter, and a layer of construction adhesive completed the job.

Ry.