True 2" joist hangers?

Old 11-16-02, 10:36 AM
dynagirl
Visiting Guest
True 2" joist hangers?

I have a 75 year old house. Under the front porch, 2 joists are pulling away a bit from the ends. The joists run parallel to the fornt of the house, so it's not the like porch is pulling away from the house, the porch has just widened about an inch from settlgin over the years, I guess. Anyway, I bought a few standard joist hangers to stabilize things, but the hangers are not true 2" widths because, modern lumber isn't. But the old lumber used in the contruction of my house is truly 2". So what can I use instead of a joist hanger? Or, do you think it would work if I got a wider joist hanger and sistered another board in next to the joist to take up the extra space?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-02, 12:58 PM
You'll probably be just as well to ad a board (1/2" plywood maybe) but here's a good place to search for what you want.

http://www.strongtie.com

The home page for Simpson...

Old 11-16-02, 01:17 PM
dynagirl,

George beat me to it but look at this link;

http://www.strongtie.com/fr_contractor.html

and go to

LTP4/A34/A35F Framing Angles (sometimes called framing anchors)

This should take care of your problem without worry. Alternate is to use metal strapping and use this from ledger to joist.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-29-02, 09:28 PM
suprsnic
Visiting Guest
FILLING UP THE JOIST HANGER

BEEN THERE- DONE THAT>>MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE IS TO USE 1/4" PLYWOOD CLEAT OR SCAB ON EACH SIDE. THEN WHEN YOU NAIL JOIST IN NAILS WILL PENETRATE EQUALLY INTO THE 2X LUMBER RATHER THAT ONE GOING IN ALL THE WAY AND THE OTHER SIDE(THE ONE WITH 1/2" PLYWOOD) JAMMED IN WILL ONLY HAVE APPROXIAMETLY 1/4" OF A NAIL IN IT. JOIST HANGER ARE DESIGNED TO BE NAILED WITH THEIR SPECIAL LITTLE NAILS THAT ARE HARDER THAN HECK AND USUALLY ONLY 3/4" TO 1 1/4" LONG.
CARPENTERS NOT ONLY BRING GOOD THINGS TO LIFE----THEY MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE!
SUPRSNIC BOOTCH