Adjusting a pocket door

Old 01-25-03, 10:56 AM
blodwyn_pig
Visiting Guest
Adjusting a pocket door

I've got a pocket door (hung from the top) that has dropped a bit, causing a gap at the lower half when it's shut. It's a bathroom door so I need to fix it. Looking at the track at the top I can see that the adjusting screw has unwound a bit because the lock nut is loose. The trouble is the screw is set back a few inches and it's impossible to get any grips or wrenches in there as there is not enough room for any rotation. I tried dropping the track a bit to see if it would drop far enough to get access, but the door bottoms out before I can get to the adjuster. Apart from removing trim and sections of sheetrock, has anyone solved this problem?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-03, 11:27 AM
Cool

You don't have to remove any sheetrock, but you do have to remove the trim in order to pull the door out to adjust the hardware.
Carefully pry the trim off, or sink the finish nails with a straight-shank punch the same size as the nails.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-25-03, 09:16 PM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
Before I remove any casing or trim I'd make some phone calls to my local lumber and millwork suppliers that carry pocket door hardware.

IF they carry a good line of new and replacement tracks, rollers, guides, stops, locks, and pulls etc, they just MIGHT also have the tool kit you need. It has 2 cheap ($9.99ish) but very valuable tools.

One tool is a long offset screwdriver with one end slot head and the other end is phillips. The other tool is long and very thin, like a tongue depressor, but it's a wrench and just long enough to reach where you need it. I think the sizes are 7/16 on one end, and 1/2 on the other ... another kit has metric sizes. Cheap tools but good enough to do the job.

Long ago I sometimes saw this tool kit in hardware stores where they had assortments of door knob wrenches.

IF you do decide to pull your casings, use a sharp razor knife along the joint between the wall and wood and break any bond the paint may have there.