toy chest hinge


Old 05-12-03, 08:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
toy chest hinge

Hi -
I have a toy chest that I want to add some type of safety hinge so it won't slam down. Is there a pneumatic or spring hinge for this?
Old 05-12-03, 05:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Yes. You have several options.

As far as hinges go there are several types. The least expensive is called a "spring hinge" and comes in two basic forms; one where it holds the door or lid in the sprung open position, and the other where it holds it in the sprung closed position. Some have adjustable tension settings so that the door or lid won't fly up and open - or drop and slam closed - too quickly. You can easily replace your existing hinge with this type.

You may also want to investigate adding a gas spring or damper to the chest instead. It resembles an automotive shock absorber and it helps lift and hold heavy lids, but it also controls the speed that cabinet doors open or close. They come in all sorts of lengths and pressures and all sorts of mounting brackets are available.

Both these types suggested above are available at quality hardware centers and on line by doing a search for spring hinges and or gas hinges. You can also find hinge suppliers in your area by going to and entering hinge and your town and state in their search box.
Old 05-12-03, 06:51 PM
fewalt's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: sw VA
Posts: 3,100
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts has toy box hinges.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: