screen windows...how do I get them out?

Old 06-03-03, 06:40 PM
magixworks1
Visiting Guest
Question screen windows...how do I get them out?

Help! I recently tried to clean my windows, and can't get the metal frame screen out without bending the frame...I only did one window..I know they have to be able to come out, but how? The window is a regular double hung sash, the storm window bottom part raises up by pushing in the slide tabs and raising up to a higher notch, this exposes the screen for ventilation. How do I get the screen out, tho?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-03, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Try raising it slightly and pulling out at the bottom. Or if it's the kind with latches, look for a small cutout part way up the frame that will allow the latch and/or top edge to come free.

Old 06-15-03, 12:35 PM
magixworks1
Visiting Guest
Wink Screen windows...getting them out solved

OK...Solved! There is a narrow bar ( 1/2 ") across the frame, attached with two screws. Once I removed the screws. the bar moved up an inch to allow the screen to pop right out, also allowed the top glass storm window to be removed...carefully because it could drop quickly once it gets past that bar. The bar also has a groove along the edge to allow the glass storm window frame to rest upon it, holding it in place. Solved! 5 windows cleaned...5 more to go...LOL....Thanks .

Old 06-15-03, 10:17 PM
Windows

Thank goodness that you figured out how to get out the screens. We tend to have lived in so many homes over the years that we think we finally have it down to a science. No, there are those dirty windows that are a mystery. Often they are ill fitting screens and storm windows or they have been abused by previous owners and tabs on screens and storm windows are missing. Or, they are a brand that is not top quality and are a paint in the neck. Sometimes, we little old ladies who live alone can't get the storms or screens out to clean the windows. As many houses as I have lived in and as many as I have cleaned, I have never encounter windows that required the removal of screws, except for mobile homes.

Thank you for posting back with successful results.

Best wishes.