installing cabinet hinges

Old 08-17-03, 08:17 PM
installing cabinet hinges

I have the 3/8" offset self closing hinges.

How do you install them? Do I put them on the door first, then mark the holes on the cabinet or the other way around. I've already filled the old holes and plan to move these hinges since the original holes don't match.

I haven't figured out which would be the best for lining them up so the door hangs correctly.

Thanks,

Kay

Ps. I also plan to install the door pulls diagonally instead of vertically or horizontally. Is this a 'no-no' and will cause problems later, or not unusual?

K.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-03, 07:56 PM
Cabinet hinges

When we order replacement doors for cabinets, customers remove existing door, leaving hinge in place, align door to hinge and screw hinge to new door. Taking that into consideration, it would probably be easier if hinges were in place first.

Placement of pulls on cabinets is a matter of personal taste. Pulls on doors are traditionally placed vertically and horizontally on drawers. I just held up a pull and placed it diagonally on a cabinet door, and it looked fine. The only thought that entered my mind was if all doors are not hinged the same way (i.e., all left or all right), then all pulls would not be angled in the same direction. But, that should not be a problem. Again, it's a matter of personal taste.

It will take precise measuring to mark placement of holes for screws so that every door will be lined up properly. Some hinges are adjustable, and that is very helpful if alignment is off just slightly.

Good luck with your project, kaybyrd!

Old 08-19-03, 08:52 PM
Thanks, I have run into more problems with refinishing these cabinets and would like the hardware installation to be less traumatic LOL.

Kay

Old 09-03-03, 07:05 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Check into getting a VIX bit for the screws. This type of bit has a spring loaded centering guide. It eliminates wander starting holes through hinges. You hold the hinge in position and the bit self centers on the hole. You just push gently and the bit telescopes and the drill bit enters the material perfectly centered.

Old 09-03-03, 07:32 AM
I use that faithfully around here! My DH uses them at work, and bought me one to keep around the house for my drill. It does keep the mistakes and misangled screws to a minimum.

Kay