Fastening to concrete foundation

Old 09-11-03, 03:46 PM
mmccarver
Visiting Guest
Question Fastening to concrete foundation

I'm having trouble attaching a 1/2" copper water pipe to the foundation. Had to reroute a hose bib and need to attach in 2 or 3 places. Tried drilling 3/16 holes with masonry bit, but no dice. Even a carbide tipped bit won't penetrate more than 1/4" or less.

Any ideas about drilling holes (this seems much harder than I've experineced before) or other ideas to attach a simple copper strap? Epoxy? Concrete nail via nail gun? Mike McCarver

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-03, 09:24 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
What size and kind of drill are you using? The outer surface of concrete may seem soft because it can be more like a mortar in many places. You should be using a 1/2" hammer drill at a minimum.

Old 09-12-03, 06:37 AM
jeff moralez
Visiting Guest
Must be a Hammer drill. Try Tap Con screws.

Old 09-12-03, 07:43 AM
mmccarver
Visiting Guest
Thanks. Using a 3/8" drill, not a hammer drill. Someone told me to put water in the hole, and to drill at 1000rpm. Think I'll try to find a hammer drill.

Old 09-13-03, 07:28 AM
jeff moralez
Visiting Guest
Must use hammer type drill! you will be amazed.
Good Luck. Also- Tap-Con screws in my opinion are the easiest and one of the best holding fasteners to use.
Jeff

Old 09-16-03, 05:10 AM
If you will be renting the hammer drill, skip the hammer drill and rent a rotary hammer. It might be overkill...but you will get the holes drilled.

Rent the correct drill to go with it.

You didn't say the age of the concrete. The older concrete will be a challenge at times.

Old 09-16-03, 09:13 AM
mmccarver
Visiting Guest
The concrete is 5 yrs old. What's the difference in a hammer drill and a rotary hammer drill? I'm drilling a 3/16 hole. What's the best masonry bit to use? I have a couple of ones, including a carbide tipped bit. What RPM is best, slow or fast? Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-16-03, 08:09 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
A hammer drill moves the bit in and out as it is spinning, creating the hammer effect. The rotary drill takes it to the next level and applies the extra torque to the twist of the drill bit, which is very effective on masonry.

If you are buying I would go with the hammer drill, which has uses around the house for a DIY'er. If you are renting, follow Steve's advice and get the rotary hammer.

Old 09-17-03, 09:06 AM
jeff moralez
Visiting Guest
If you are fasting 3/16 only ,rotary is over kill. When you buy tap cons the box will tell you what size bit and sometimes include the bit with the screws.