Mounting Cabinet into Steel Studs

Old 01-19-04, 01:22 PM
betona
Visiting Guest
Question Mounting Cabinet into Steel Studs

I need to hang my son's dart board cabinet in the basement, which is finished out but was done using steel studs instead of wood.

This dart board cabinet is surprisingly heavy -- like 25 or 30 pounds. It has two holes 16" apart which would be perfect if I was going into wood.

But what about going into steel studs? What sort of screw or fastener would I use to mount something heavy? I've mounted other things and it felt like you couldn't tighten things up without stripping the screw in the steel. It's not like you'd put an inch and a half into it like you would with wood. What do you use to mount heavy things into steel studs?

And will they hold it up okay? I've been googling around and saw one person have a shelf unit warping the steel on one side and pulling right out of steel on the other.

Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-04, 08:18 PM
Depending on the gauge of the stud, you have a couple options. One is to use a self-drilling screw into the stud itself. Load values for a #6 or #8 screw going into 18 to 22 ga. stud will be well above the 25 or 30 lbs you need. The other option is using a toggler bolt in a 3/16" or 1/4" diameter and again, load values will be well more than you need.