Screws won't sink in below surface

Old 01-31-04, 12:06 PM
josephwalter
Visiting Guest
Screws won't sink in below surface

I'm installing 1/4" underlayment in my bathroom. The book I have shows to screw the sheets down, and screw the screws in until they're just below the surface (so I can level it and have a smooth surface for my new flooring).

The problem is that the screws will screw TO the surface, but then they just spin in place. I can't get them to go in tight enough to pull the heads below the surface of the underlayment. I'm using 2 1/2" screws... I was using shorter screws, and thought the longer would do the trick. I was wrong about that.

A guy at the hardware store said to locate the joists and screw into those, but I need to put screws every 6" around the edge of each sheet and across the area of the underlayment every 8"... I doubt the joists will help me with those spots.

Old 02-01-04, 01:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Are these full-thread screws or do they have a smooth shank just below the head?
Full thread screws should pull underlayment tightly down to the subflooring and sink the head.

Old 02-02-04, 12:54 AM
josephwalter
Visiting Guest
Yes, they have a smooth shank just below the heads... the smaller screws did not, which is why the guy are the hardware store told me to try the 2 1/2" screws. Any other ideas?

Old 02-03-04, 11:24 AM
M
Use a countersink bit?

Old 02-11-04, 06:32 PM
josephwalter
Visiting Guest
It took me a while to find a countersink bit, but that worked perfectly. Thank you!

Old 02-21-04, 08:44 PM
joecaption
Visiting Guest
A little bar hand soap helps them go in to.
I use a combination tapered drill and countersink. It predrills the hole, allows more screw thread contact, and countersinks the hole.

Old 03-05-04, 06:31 PM
S
If the underlayment is Masonite, I doubt any screw will pull itself flush.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: