Antique LOOKING hinges

Old 02-24-04, 10:09 AM
JamesnRhonda
Visiting Guest
Antique LOOKING hinges

Any ideas on how to make inexpensive galvanized steel strap hinges look like old dark antique hinges? I'm using them on my exterior shutters for the look only and I cant see spending $16 each for the old iron ones. I don't want to just paint them black. I'd rather have that dark rust or bronze distressed look. Just wondering if theres a chemical or coating that would give me that look and not wear off in the elements.

Old 02-24-04, 10:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You can distress the surface with both ends of a ball peen hammer, and paint it any color that you like using an outdoor paint like Rustoleum. to give them an "atinque" look.
Make sure that the hinges are "flat" and working properly before you install them.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 03-04-04, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What about?

Here is a post from another site:

Request: Furniture maker needs quick rusting of metal on log beds. I need to rust metal for a headboard in a log bed. This rusting process can only take one hour for production to stay where I would like it.

ANSWER: Wasatch Steel has some products that will " Insta Rust " your brackets..So does Michels craft store its called antiqueing soultion (patina). But you must remove the mill scale first with both products Use a 4 in grinder with sanding discs.

OR: after distressing the hinges with the ball peen hammer, try soaking them in a MILD acid solution and see if it gives you the effect you are looking for.

Old 06-12-04, 07:44 AM
snoggerboy
Visiting Guest
Try Stained Glass Patina

You can buy some at a crafts store like Pearls. Not sure if it'll work as I've never tried it - very cheap though and worth a try.

Old 12-17-04, 07:52 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi i mkade mine rust type by spraying a body primer brown and the got some purple glase and used a soft cotton and dap it on looks like it was rusted for years.

cheers

pg

Old 12-17-04, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Here's what I do:

A trick I learned from when it was less expensive to build your own speakers than to buy them was to use gun blueing to darken ferrous metal screws and fasteners.
The degree of how dark and even the finish would be, is dependant on the alloy and coating that the metal had.
I found that even with plated fasteners, if you buffed the surface with a wire wheel often times the results were satisfactory.

You would have to invest around five or ten dollars on a bottle of gun blueing to see if if would work with the hardware you have.

I did this last year on a vehicle project.
I built a winch bumper for my four wheel drive truck and blued all the bolt heads and clips.
The paint used to cover a project like this will normally hold quite well but all the hardware seems to get chipped fairly quickly when painted.

If you try this you should give the piece a good rubdown with oil to make the finish last longer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: