Kitchen sink fastner

Old 03-16-04, 05:09 PM
Kitchen sink fastner

I just finished installing my tiled counter top. I put in my sink and tried to tighten up using the steel sink hold-down fasteners. But the fastener screw is too short now. I have a stainless steel sink that has the groove that you put in the screw which has a slit for a screw driver on the end of it. This screw is too short and I need a longer one. Where can I find longer hold-down fasteners for my sink?

Any suggestions, I tried Elkay's website (maker of my sink), Lowes and home deopt. Is there an alternative?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-04, 05:33 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: alguzman

Chances are the fastners are designed for a laminate counter top and not one with tile, which adds to the heigth. Or the tile extends too far into the area where the sink rim fits.

If the screw is a seperate piece form the fastner, longer screws can be obtained at any local hardware store.

If that is not possible, check at the tile stores in your area. Installers often buy from them too and they may have the needed parts.

My Two Cents
Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Edited Addition

Try this web site for fastners:
DIY'S Fasteners Forum Topics Shopping Center:
http://doityourself.com/store/fastener.htm
(Copy & Re Paste into browser) Or use the Hardware Link above at the top of this page.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 03-16-04 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-17-04, 06:50 AM
I checked out the link from Sharp Advice but could not find anything.

There has to be fastners that are designed for a tiled countertop.

I need the fastners because the sink is raised in some areas and will go down in place if I lean on it. If the sink was fastned down it will be perfect.

Any other suggestions out there?

Old 03-17-04, 07:15 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Al Guzman

I agree. There has to be a way. Larger fastners have to be used and should be available. Locating them is the objective.

My be worth mentioning again, "check at the tile stores in your area. Installers often buy from them too and they may have the needed parts."

As well as having a professional attempt to add some possible solutions and suggestions.

Since the question pertains to fastners, more than it does sink installation, I also copied this question into the "Fastners" forum topic. Very possible a member there (here) can share some additional helpful advice and suggestions for you.

Check both forums daily. Hope it helps.

Sharp Advice

Old 03-17-04, 07:20 AM
Thank you for your hlep Sharp Advice. I purchased my tile at Lowes and they do not have the screws / fastners I need. I will try a tile store today and some local hardware stores.

This is the first time I tiled a counter top and everything went too smooth. Something had to go wrong and drive me crazy..lol

Old 03-17-04, 07:54 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Al

Yes. Trying both the tile stores in your area and local hardware stores. Both the large chain hardware retailers, as well as the privately owner hardware stores.

I fully agree. At times things projects do go too smoothly.
Something has to go wrong for the project to be perfect in it's final results....

The sayings do have creditability.

"The best layed plans of mice and men do go wrong."

"Where there is a will, there is a way."

Finding that way is the objective.

Once discovered, post back the place you located the fastsners and how you installed them, as well as the final results. In doing so, we all learn more by sharing...

Good Luck
Sharp Advice

Old 03-17-04, 08:02 AM
I will post back and let the forum know what I found, how I found It and how I installed it.

No problem.

Old 03-18-04, 05:58 PM
crossroads545
Visiting Guest
sink tie down

i ran into this once before and had to come up with something quick on the job. what i did was take a square headed [ head being 1/4 inch across] machine screw with nut 1 and 1/2 inches long. the square head fits into the slot on the sink. then i take some 3/8 copper pipe,like a sink suppy line and cut it about 3/8 long. this is a spacer between the sink and the clip. first put the square headed screw in the slot on the sink. then put on the pipe,this allows for the clip to be level with the bottom of the c/t. then screw it tightly down with the nut. hope it works for you,good luck. dont forget the plumbers putty on the sink.

Old 03-18-04, 06:52 PM
go directly to a plumbing supply store....

or use a 1/2 " spade bit and drill in under the counter at each clip point...to create a recess.

or carefully use a chissell and light hammer taps to create the recess..

Old 08-02-04, 01:16 PM
timothy.webb
Visiting Guest
Wink Do it yourselfer

I got the answer for you.
2 ways to do it per Elkay.
First way is to call them at 630-574-8484 adn ask for Customer service and tell them you need longer screws. They will send you 1-1/2" long screws for free.
Second way is to purchase, at the hardware store, #8-32 screws, 1/2 inch longer than you need and two nuts for each screw. Slide the head of the screw into the grove in the sink and tighten one nut. Install the sink and then slip on the metal clamp and tighten with the second nut. I got this info from Elkay.