cabinet knobs

Old 03-15-04, 08:25 AM
cabinet knobs

we have just installed new cabinets in our kitchen. now, it's time to decide on the knobs and pulls. someone told me there was a tool of some sort to help measure the placement of the hardware. does anyone know anything about this, or do you have any tips for getting them on straight and level? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-04, 06:19 PM
crossroads545
Visiting Guest
locating hardware

you can make a template. take a square piece of 3/4 inch plywood app. 4 inches by 6 inches. take 2 pieces of plywood about 1 1/2 inches wide and screw them to the sides off said piece with one on bottom and one on the side and center these so you have a over lap on each side. what these pieces do is rest againist the side of the door and the bottom. carefully measure out where you want to put your handles or knobs on the door and drill it out. then take the template and with it behind the drilled door use the holes you drilled and go thru them to the template and just drill into it to give you a mark. take the template at this point and drill out both your holes where the marks are keeping it at a right angle to the wood. i prefere to make these holes in a smaller dia until im sure of the trueness of the template. if it is done right then you can go ahead and make you 3/16 hole [normal size for handle screws]. always use a block of wood as a backer where you are drilling as to not blow out the back of the door. also remember that if your base cainets are cathedraled then you must make a new hole location for those doors as well. i used this meathod for many yrs with great results. email me if you need a pic of it and ill go into paint and draw it for you.

Old 03-27-04, 09:39 AM
knobs

o.k. that sounds pretty involved. i could use a picture. or an easier method, if there is one out there. and what about the drawer pulls?

Old 03-27-04, 06:55 PM
Handle and Knob Template

You can purchase a template. Try shopping at a local big box store like Lowe's or Home Depot. You can also find them online.

Old 03-27-04, 07:08 PM
knobs

FANTASTIC!!!!!! that's just what i wanted to hear. i will look tomorrow. thank you so much!

Old 06-24-04, 08:37 AM
tounik
Visiting Guest
Buy online

Hi,

You may have already bought your hardware. But here is an online source I have found: www.coolknobsandpulls.com. They were great - shipped the same day and you can call and ask questions.