Stair treads.....screws or nails??

Old 03-31-04, 04:12 PM
almart
Visiting Guest
Question Stair treads.....screws or nails??

I'm putting some new treads on my basement stairs. Question is: Which is better...galvanized spiral deck nails (10d) or coarse thread drywall screws?
I will be carpeting over this and don't want to have any creaking or loose fasteners.
Thanks a bunch, almart

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-04, 06:45 PM
Drywall screws are for drywall, period.
Galv. is overkill, but deck screws will be fine.

fred

Old 04-10-04, 04:46 PM
use liquid nails under the treads.
you can also make small triaangular wedge blocks
for between the risers and treads.

Old 05-19-04, 11:01 PM
vmg_inc
Visiting Guest
Ok... Let's think about this for a sec...

I know I know... First things first... One of the best ways to insure that you don't get squeaks in stairways is to install the treads correctly... that means you should, use a Good High grade Construction Adhesive and put it on the wood before you install the Steps... Then you install the steps and screw them down tightly making sure that you don't Strip the screw out... Once dried, screwed, & attached right, you will have a long happy life with your squeakless steps...

Now everyone knows that Drywall screws are the "Duct Tape" of the industry, so I would recommend using a decent deck screw also... They are a great product, although a little more expensive, but a bit stronger and will last longer... Just remember they are called drywall screws for nothing... LOL... No seriously, I have regrettably used drywall screws for about everything, but have found through trial & error on many different projects that they aren't cut out for some uses...

Good Luck...