Drilling Ceramic Tile

Old 04-06-04, 10:48 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Ceramic Tile

Folks;
I am in process of mounting a new pedestal sink. I plan on using lead anchors with 1/4" lag bolts. I will have to drill threw
ceramic tile and have to use a 1/2" bit. My question is should I
drill a pilot hole first and what is best type of drill bit to use?
thank you in advance for your help
ron

Old 04-06-04, 05:03 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is a Tile Bit for drilling into ceramic tile.

Old 04-07-04, 05:48 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Ron

A stop at any local hardware store will have the correct drill bit for the intended purpose. A variable speed drill motor works best, in my opinion. Makes starting the hole and drill easier.

No pilot hole should be required. Buy the size needed. Reduces the cost of buying two or more drill bits based on the fact that the bits will most likely be a one time used item.

Regards & Good Luck
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Old 04-07-04, 06:17 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
For a 1/2" hole in tile, I would strongly suggest a pilot hole since bits want to 'skate' on the hard tile surface.

When I drill tile, I put painters tape on the tile and mark my holes on the tape. I then use a hammer and small nail to mark the hole centers and drill a 1/8" pilot hole. (The nail makes a small 'ding' in the tile so the 1/8" bit doesn't 'skate'). Then, I drill my final hole.

I use carbide masonary and tile bits in a variable speed drill (a cordless is usually just fine) and drill slowly until the hole is well started.

If you're going into a wood backer, switch to a regular wood bit when you've drilled thru the tile (and cement backer if one was used behind the tile).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: