Shelving on Wood Paneling

Old 04-27-04, 02:31 AM
JRopp
Visiting Guest
Shelving on Wood Paneling

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the site so bare with me if I'm in the wrong forum.

I'm trying to re-hang some shelves for my Mom. The problem is that one wall is made of a thin wood-paneling like material. I would guess it is 1/2" thick. How should I secure the shelf supports to the wall if I want to support a heavy load (books)?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-04, 04:36 AM
Find the wood studs in the wall and attach the shelf supports to them.

Old 04-27-04, 06:23 AM
Unless the shelves are used exclusively for very lightweight 'stuff', you need to either find the studs (a real chore with paneling on the wall), or use moly bolts to hold the shelf supports.

The problem with moly bolts is that you have to drill a hole in the wall to use them so it's best to know exactly where you want the shelves and be certain you won't want to move them. The correct size of the moly bolts will depend on the weight of the 'stuff' that goes on the shelves.

If you want the flexibility to rearrange the shelves, look into a 'standard and bracket' shelf system. Standards are long metal pieces with holes in them that are attached to the walls and the brackets are clipped into the holes. The shelves are loose boards that rest on the brackets.

Old 04-27-04, 07:06 AM
JRopp
Visiting Guest
oh, and another thing....

I forgot...for aesthetic reasons (and the shelves I MUST use), I most likely will not have the flexibity to find studs every time. Assuming I don't....molly bolts? Are toggle bolts even better in my case?

Old 04-27-04, 09:17 AM
Toggle bolts would work too. Just make sure you get the size needed for whatever load you want the shelves to carry. If the pull out, it's gonna be a real mess.