Attaching deck ledger to brick foundation

Old 05-13-04, 06:51 AM
pw1972
Visiting Guest
Attaching deck ledger to brick foundation

I apologize if this belongs in the deck forum.

I want to secure my deck ledger to the brick foundation on my house.

I'm guessing I'll have to go all the way through the foundation, into the basement to get the support I will need. One of my concerns though is that the bricks are not solid and there is a gap between the concrete foundation and the brick, so I really can't just crank whatever fastener down that I use.

Any tips, suggestions for this?

Old 05-13-04, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Instead of a ledger, I would set piers about 12" from the house then cantilever the deck structure up to the wall. There's no direct connection to the house, but the deck could butt up to it.

Old 05-13-04, 07:43 AM
pw1972
Visiting Guest
That's an idea I've been throwing around. The one thing Im trying to clear up with my building department is how deep I'll have to go with my footers if I'm only 1 or 2 feet from the house. I've heard some cases where the city will require you to dig your footers to the depth of the house when they are that close when working with newer housing. Still waiting to hear back from them but I think they will only have to go to frost depth like the normal footers.

Old 05-13-04, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've never been anywhrere near Cleveland, but I would guess that piers extending below the frost line would work just fine.

Another reason for keeping the deck separated from the house would be the idea of keeping movement between the deck and house from stressing the ledger attachment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: