What does all this mean?

Old 06-01-04, 06:38 AM
pw1972
Visiting Guest
What does all this mean?

I'm trying to find fasteners for 5/4 x 6 ipe decking. I want to use the stainless steel trim head screws.

I get confused when i see all the different ratings 305ss, 316ss etc. I've mainly been looking at manasquan or whatever the name of that place is.

I've read that I should use 2 1/2" #8 stainless steel... does the 305 or the 316 mean anything to me(Im not near salt water)? Would I be safe with the one listed here(305SS 2 1/2" #1 square drive)?

http://www.manasquanfasteners.com/St...re%20Drive.htm

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-04, 07:30 PM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
305 -vs- 316

Generally speaking: 305 good; 316 better.

These alloy are maybe the most frequently used in the stainless steel screw family, and are best used in applications where resistance to corrosion and oxidation are important; but *in the most general terms* 316 is a molybdenum-bearing austenitic stainless steel which is more resistant to general corrosion and pitting/crevice corrosion than the conventional chromium-nickel austenitic stainless steel 305.

Of more importance, IMHO of course, would be the strength ratings of the screws you are comparing and considering: tensile, yeild, shear and pullout.