Butt Hinges or Cabinet Hinges


Old 06-12-04, 07:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Butt Hinges or Cabinet Hinges

What is the difference between these?
Old 06-16-04, 08:07 PM
Doug Aleshire's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 4,679
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Well, here goes but you'll have to go to a site to review the different types mentioned here.

Butt Hinges

Is a hinge that is mortised flush into the edge of a door and jamb, similar to home entry doors.

Cabinet Hinges

Concealed hinges are not visible when the cabinet door is closed. They can be European style cup hinges (Amerock, Blum) or knife hinges (Amerock, Youngdale); although knife hinges do leave a visible slot on the edge of the door.

Demountable hinges come in single and double varieties. The single demountables, demount from the cabinet door only (this requires a special slot be cut into the door for new installations) and screw directly to the edge of the face frame. The double demountables demount from both the door and the frame (and both require machining for new installations).

Inset means that the cabinet door is actually recessed into the cabinet opening. If it is partially inset, the recess distance must be measured accurately to determine size needed (3/8" inset is a common partial inset hinge). To determine this dimension, measure the inside step of the recess cut (the part of the door that would extend into the cabinet opening when the door is closed). If the front of your cabinet door is flush with the outside of the cabinet face frame when the door is closed (meaning you can see a crack all the way around the cabinet door between the door and the frame), you have a full inset hinge.

Free-swinging hinges do not employ any closing mechanism, meaning the door doesn't shut by itself. This feature has nothing to do with whether the hinges are concealed or non-concealed, overlay or inset.

Knife hinges are a variety of concealed hinges that require a slot or saw cut into the door to house the "knife" (some types that mount on the top or bottom of the door don't require these cuts). The hinge mounts to the back of the door and to the edge of the face frame.

This is the piece that mounts to the cabinet, either the face frame or the inside of the cabinet for frameless cabinets. These are generally used with concealed hinges.

Overlay is the distance that your cabinet door extends past the actual cabinet opening on the hinge side. To measure this, with the door closed, make a mark on the cabinet frame along the edge of the door (on the hinge side). Open the door and measure from the mark you made to the edge of the face frame (the cabinet opening) and that is your overlay.

Unlike the free-swinging hinges, self-closing hinges do just what the name implies, they close by themselves if the door is within a certain distance from the closed position. This feature has nothing to do with whether the hinges are concealed or non-concealed, overlay or inset.

A wrap hinge simply wraps around the cabinet frame from the front to the edge and sometimes partially around the back of the frame. Like the closing styles, this feature has nothing to do with whether the hinges are concealed or non-concealed, overlay or inset.

Hope this helps!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: