repairing a plastic screw hole

Old 06-18-04, 06:04 PM
t99thumper
Visiting Guest
repairing a plastic screw hole

I am trying to repair the underside of a window, where the grooves of a hole for a small 'sheet metal screw' have become stripped. The hole is approximately 1/8" across, and the purpose of the screw is to hold a thin strip of metal to a hard plastic base. My idea is to use superglue to hold the screw in, which might be difficult since I'm working with the underside, and the screw inserts upward into its hole.

Any better ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you - J.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-04, 06:09 PM
Cut a piece of plastic soda straw and insert it into the hole, then thread the screw. One or two layers should be enough to fill the stripped gap and hold the screw in place with friction alone.

Old 06-26-04, 09:03 AM
t99thumper
Visiting Guest
hey chris - thanx for the reply. i actually tried your idea, as it seemed to make a lot of sense, but that screw still won't stay, probably due to its upward position.

but i gave it a try, and thanx again - j.

Old 06-27-04, 09:57 AM
You could try a pop rivet. How strong is the plastic?

Old 06-27-04, 04:22 PM
t99thumper
Visiting Guest
the plastic is pretty strong, and i was pretty much on my way to the hardware store to look for such an item when i finally found the warranty for my windows (they're only a few yrs old) and they're still covered so the company's repairman can figure out how to fix the problem. good news, huh?

thanks so much, guys - j.