Hanging mirror on cinderblock wall

Old 07-16-04, 11:06 AM
BriCK LL928
Visiting Guest
Hanging mirror on cinderblock wall

I have a moderately heavy mirror to hang on a cinderblock wall between my neighbor's and my townhomes. The wall is covered with sheetrock without any studs, I believe it's glued right to the blocks. I bought a hanger for concrete and brick walls that's rated at 100 pounds (more than enough), and I bought a pack of assorted sized concrete/brick nails. I think the manufacterer is called "Ook".

How long of a nail should I use to get through the sheetrock and comfortably into the blocks? Are cinderblocks too brittle to drive a nail into without cracking? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-04, 02:21 PM
I would feel more comfortable having used an anchor inserted into a hole drilled into the sheetrock and block.

Old 07-18-04, 06:13 AM
BriCK LL928
Visiting Guest
Thanks! OK, that sounds prudent. I have a masonry bit and a couple plastic anchors for masonry already, but how long should they be to get through the sheetrock and into the block? I don't know for sure how thick sheetrock is, though I'd estimate from pieces I've seen in the past about 3/4".

Old 07-18-04, 11:29 AM
I would allow 3/4" for the worst case in the sheet rock and put 3/4' of fastener in the cinder block. So, use 2" screws for the proper amount of overkill. I hate sweep broken glass.

Old 08-01-04, 04:50 AM
wstender
Visiting Guest
I hang art professionally so I have a bit of knowledge in this area. First, as hard as it is to believe, the drywall is sufficient to hold this project. The OOK picture hanger works very well because the nails are at an angle and hold like a claw into the wall. The 100# hangers will do just that, hold a hundred pounds in just drywall. For extra safety, put two in the wall about 8 to 12" apart. This also helps to keep the mirror leval. You do not need to deal with going into the block. In addition, most masonry anchors ned to have direct contact with the thing you are screwing to it to form the preasure necessary to hold. The addition of the layer of drywall make this impossable and when you put a screw int the anchor you may actually pull the anchor out of the wall if there is a gap between the anchor and the hook or plate you are screwing tothe wall. The OOKs work stick with them, and the holes are easier to fix too.

Old 08-01-04, 08:12 PM
BriCK LL928
Visiting Guest
Wow, that makes sense, thank you! Part of my concern was the thinness of drywall, but I guess they make Ook hangers with nails short enough to not go all the way through into the block, but I guess it's no big deal if they do if they're masonry nails? I suppose cinderblock is no different from other types of masonry, but I've always thought of them as kind of brittle and imagined them splitting if you drove a nail into it.

Old 08-13-04, 08:01 AM
calvink
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Adhesive hooks

Dude, if its a flat back mirror, cant you use the multihook self ashesive hooks? Thats how I put up my mirror, but you may have a different situation. Anyway check their site.

www.multihook.com

cheers, Calvin.