Hanging A Porch Swing???

Old 07-23-04, 07:10 AM
49erinnc
Visiting Guest
Hanging A Porch Swing???

Bought a standard 2-person porch swing and I'm wondering what the best way to support it is? It comes with two basic screw hooks and I was just going to screw them into a beam where I can see a seam/nails for the ceiling of the porch. Will just using the coarse threaded hooks that come with the swing do the trick or is there a better (safer) means of securing the swing such as some type of anchor? I don't want to get into anything complex but I do want to know that when my wife and I are on it, we don't have to worry about crashing to the concrete below.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-04, 11:53 AM
Generally, the included hooks are sufficient, but if you have some concern, why not purchase a pair of hooks a size larger than those supplied.

Old 07-28-04, 05:50 AM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
Common question from customers to my fastener business. Generally speaking; north American based manufacturers supply adequate class A suspension hangers aka "hooks" for these applications with pullout and tensile strengths rated anywhere from 500 up to 1000 pounds. Imported products usually offer lesser rated suspension hangers, but will perform well.

There are two keys to your installation: the first is to drill the proper sized hole for the diameter of your hanger. An oversized hole will not offer the desired pullout strength and proper thread engagement. This is very very important. Second, it is also important to space your hangers properly. If for example, your swing is 5 feet wide space your hangers 5 feet apart. Spacing them more than 5 feet or less than 5 feet will add tensile strains to the suspension fasteners or "hooks" and will create problemmatic elongation stretching.

IMHO it is also good to know what it is you're putting these fasteners into; 2X4s, 2X6s for example. You may not want to screw both of your suspension hangers into the same 2X4. Just food for thought.