Hanging heavy weights

Old 08-07-04, 01:46 AM
phfjones
Visiting Guest
Hanging heavy weights

Can anyone help with this one?

I am looking to hang a projector screen (about 30Kgs) from my ceiling. I have the normal board ceiling, then a six inch gap of air, and then a three inch concrete based (that is the bedroom floor above the living area).

I have assumed I need a nine inch screw fixing so I can drill into the concrete, but I cannot find any supplier who do nine inch screws. So I have two questions:-

1) Where can I buy nine inch screws from for this purpose?

2) Or is there a better way of hanging a seven foot wide 30Kg electric projector screen?

I am UK based,

Great forum, and thank you for reading.......

Old 08-07-04, 08:38 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welcome;

I would be very cautions about attempting to attach to what may be considered to be someone else's property, besides which, the floor is probably not solid concrete, but honeycombed to save weight.

However, we're only talking about 66lbs.So were I you, I would attach 4ea 2x4 blocks, on the ceiling surface, to two of the ceiling joists, then attach the projector screen to them

Old 08-08-04, 09:48 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attaching blocks to the ceiling is certainly an option. Another would be to drill through the board ceiling and then into the concrete about 1 1/2" or 37 mm (this will take a masonry carbide tipped drill bit). Install a sleeve anchor (which works well into solid concrete or concrete with voids) with a rod coupling on it. A diameter of 1/4" or 6mm with 4 anchors should be sufficient. From the rod coupling screw in all-thread and hang the projector screen those. You can then plaster around the rods to make it look good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: