Patio door

Old 08-21-04, 01:54 PM
rcavery
Visiting Guest
Patio door

My patio door is 27 years old, it is hard to open and makes noise with the
rollers when opening and shuting. I do not have any idea how to replace the
rollers and would like some instructions or information on how to do it. Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks much
RCA.

Old 08-21-04, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try lifting the sliding door straight up and pulling the bottom out. That should let you get the slider out. Next, see if you can remove one of the roller assemblies. If you can, take it to a good hardware store and try to find matching replacements. If the hardware store can't help you, try a screen and glass shop.

That's a pretty old door so don't get your hopes too high.

Old 08-23-04, 11:15 AM
Older houses almost always = header sag. If you can't just lift up and pull the bottom out, use a really thin pry bar, place it under the wheels and pull the bottom. In rare cases even a bottle jack and 2x4 are needed to take up the slack.Be careful tho, plaster can crack as can Sheetrock

Old 08-23-04, 11:22 AM
glasman has a good point there but one other thing that may make removal difficult is if the adjustments are at full height and the wheels won't clear the track. You may need to lower the wheel adjusters to get the door out. If they're frozen up, you got a problem.

Old 08-23-04, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Dave_D1945
glasman has a good point there but one other thing that may make removal difficult is if the adjustments are at full height and the wheels won't clear the track. You may need to lower the wheel adjusters to get the door out. If they're frozen up, you got a problem.

Good eyes dave.. I'm a bit groogy from my meds ( just had surgery friday ) glad you cought that

Old 08-29-04, 12:28 PM
CustomPaintball
Visiting Guest
Hm maybe add a little WD-40?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: