Custom Milling on Paintball Markers

Old 08-29-04, 09:55 PM
CustomPaintball
Visiting Guest
Custom Milling on Paintball Markers

What hardware would I need to custom mill a paintball marker? They are made out of a metal material which I am unsure of. O yes, and what is required to perform annodizing?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-04, 01:56 PM
WheelingMike
Visiting Guest
I'm not into paintball at all so I'm not sure what a paintball marker is. I'm guessing if you're going to mill anything, you would need a milling machine.

As for anodizing, you can only do that to aluminum. And the material has to be conductive to for anodize to build up. So if your part is painted or coated, you have to get rid of all that.

Old 10-06-04, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
CustomPaintball,

Ya, me too.
What is a paint ball marker?

Maybe you can find a link to one.

Old 10-31-04, 09:37 AM
CustomPaintball
Visiting Guest
A paintball marker is another term for a paintball gun. Sorry I should have specified that.

Old 11-06-04, 10:55 AM
CustomPaintball
Visiting Guest
anyone?????????

Old 11-06-04, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
What you would need to make your own paintball gun would be a lathe and a milling machine as well as the expertise to use this equipment and to be able to come up with a workable firing system.

I know they don't look like there is much to them but you could by ten store bought ones and still not be at the value of machining tools.

Old 11-08-04, 09:29 PM
CustomPaintball
Visiting Guest
I found out a lot of places use a CNC milling machine, such as www.fearfactorypb.com

How much do these cost?

As for annodizing, I have seen kits on ebay, are these reliable?

Old 11-09-04, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator
Here's an old clunker that's only at $1275.00 on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58253&item=3850569369&rd=1

You'll need to take some serious training to use it and you will need the cutters as well.

I'm afraid it's not a diy item.

Old 11-18-04, 04:17 AM
Ashvang
Visiting Guest
You might be getting in over your head....

A paintball marker/gun is made from a high grade of aircraft aluminium.
For those curious as to what a paintball marker is.. it's an air powered device used to fire .68 caliber paintballs at a velocity roughly 280 fps. Device is used to shoot other people who also have a paintball gun. It's catching on faster and faster. To play, it costs about the same as a sunday round of golf ($35-$40), but alot more rewarding. That's for field admission fees, paintballs, and air for your tank. If ever you walk into Wal-Mart's sporting goods section, there is an entire section devoted to paintball (next to the bb/pellet guns).

I'm not sure if you plan on just milling the outside of the marker or the entire marker. If you're not experienced with lathe and mill work, then I would suggest against the latter. For best results you would need a lathe as well. Your best bet, if you intend on just milling the outside of the body, is to order already manufactured bodies and custom mill them to your liking.

This I have considered doing myself, but the price of a GOOD milling machine is just too high. On top of that, you need to purchase milling sets (which, depending on the quality and size, can cost an arm and a leg by themselves) and vices and measuring equipment. I'm however going to lean to the lathe side and turn some pieces that I can sell on Ebay. Now with a mill, you can make drop forwards, custom mill work on the body, install eyes (if you get good at this, you can make a ton of money) or use a drill press, but a mill is alot cleaner, custom work to internal parts, make triggers and more.

If you're not trained on the equipment, then I forsee you going through alot of marker bodies practicing (not to mention milling cutters). If you have money to burn, then good luck to you.

As for anodizing, I'm not entirely sure of the process, but the cost ranges from $15 to $200 for just the marker body. Depending on how elaborate you wish to get.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Ashvang; 11-18-04 at 04:29 AM.