broken off bolt

Old 08-31-04, 02:30 PM
typeo65
Visiting Guest
broken off bolt

I need some help with this. In the trunk floor of my car there is a threaded hole for a bolt. Only the top part is accessible, with the end being underneath thecar. I accidentally screwed it in too tight and the head of the bolt tore off. So now the threaded part of the bolt is in the hole, with no head to unscrew it out. Is there anyway to get it out of there? Thanks for any help, I really want to get it out of there.

Old 08-31-04, 06:41 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Easy-out

Yes there is a tool called an easy-out
It's like a drill bit only pointier and has reverse threads on it
First you drill a hole into the bolt
Then tap the ez-out into the hole till it gets stuck
Then twist the whole thing out

They come in different sizes but tell or show the hardware store what size your bolt is and they should set you up with the right one and handle and a matching bit
And ask if they have reverse thread bits, some times that alone works, and it can't hurt

Also: if some of it is sticking up you can hacksaw (or dremmel) a slot into it and turn it with a screwdriver

Old 09-06-04, 07:54 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If this is the bolt for the spare tire, and the tire is removed, you may also try a vise grip.

Old 09-06-04, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
How are you making out on thhis?

Often the bolt will extend out the back of the weld-nut and can be gripped from the back and be easily threaded out.

Old 09-09-04, 04:45 PM
typeo65
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the suggestions people. I eventually went and got the eazy out thing, and was all set to take the bolt out. Except that in the cramped space of my trunk I didn't get a very good look while drilling and ended up drilling off to the side....So now there's half of a broken bolt stuck in there. I'm just gonna forget about it and leave it in there. Thanks again, and sorry about wasting your advice...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: