Help!!! Locking Pin Question

Old 09-14-04, 04:10 PM
fla4
Visiting Guest
Help!!! Locking Pin Question

I'm trying to put together a stationary bike, and I have a question..How do you actually lock a locking pin? I know this sounds really stupid, but I've been trying to get this thing together for a week.

Thanks a lot,

Lori

Old 09-14-04, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need more info,there are afew different types.What does yours look like {diameter,length,etc}?

Old 09-14-04, 10:02 PM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
fla4:

By definition locking pins are cylinder-shaped mechanisms which are designed to provide secure retention against accidental disassembly; and it is generally accepted by the fastener industry that locking pins are divided into three main categories: 1) heavy-duty cotter pins, 2) single-acting pins, and 3) double-acting pins.

I will described each as follows:

1) Heavy-duty cotter pins, (not to be confused with the simple conventional split-cotter pins, or push/pull split-cotter pins) are long cylinder shaped pins with locking action provided by a ring mounted on the head of the pin. The snap ring in the unlocked position will be in direct line with the cylinder. It must be in this unlocked position before inserting it into the holes. Once inserted into the holes the snap ring must moved to at least a 90 degree angle to the cylinder to allow locking engagment. This type is usually the least expensive and is most found in use where there is limited or non-critical load stresses without notable time-motion factors. These can be found in use for exercise equipment such as the type you have described.

2) Single-acting pins have locking action controlled by a plunger-actuated locking mechanism. In the locked position, the locking element projects beyond the surface of the pin shank to provide a positive lock. When the plunger is moved by means of a button or lever assembly at one end of the pin, the locking element retracts. A number of head styles and release mechanisms have been developed for these pins. These are usually more expensive, but they will withstand greater load stresses and are ideal for critical time-motion connections found in exercise equipment.

3) Double-acting pins are a modification of single-action types, and have a bidirectional, spring-located plunger. Movement of the plunger in either direction releases the locking balls within the cylinder.

With that said, your equipment will very likely have one or more of the three basic types I have described above; so look to see how your locking pins react to moving the snap ring or engagement buttons; look for the plunger to move - extend or retract. Try to insert the locking pins into their proper holes. If they do not fit - they are probably in the locked position and must be unlocked by moving the snap ring or button. Once inserted, move the locking ring or button into position to lock. Once locked they should provide secure retention against movement and/or accidental dissassembly.

Hope this helps,
NBK

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: