installing glass doorknobs ?

Old 10-12-04, 04:58 AM
stuckigs
Visiting Guest
Red face installing glass doorknobs ?

I have bought glass doorknobs with the center spindle how can I replace the brass door knobs I have now on the bedroom doors with the glass ones using the existing brass hardware since all I have is the glass knobs and spindle that connects them.. ?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-04, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
Is the current door knob in your bedroom a modern style? It sounds like you bought the old/antique style knobs that have a square shaft.

Old 10-14-04, 04:59 PM
stuckigs
Visiting Guest
Question Replacing new Knobs with Glass door knobs

Yes the knobs in the house are new scroll handle.. I bought 6 old glass door knobs with just the square shaft or spindle.. what do I need to install them? thank you.

Old 10-14-04, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
The antique style door knobs with the square shaft do not fit modern style door locksets. The locks are totally different.

Many old style locks are mounted on the door's surface where the guts of modern locks are inside the door. If you really, really want the antique glass handle look you might want to buy a new door ($50-$100) and install a mortise lockset. You can keep the existing door frame/jamb, though the jamb and trim molding will need some work. Not a quick, easy job.

My wife bought a bunch of those knobs at an auction. We mounted them to a board and made them into coat hooks. I've seen people arrange them in bowls like flowers...

Old 10-15-04, 03:48 AM
stuckigs
Visiting Guest
Red face Installing glass door knobs

Thanks but that is to much work, I should have bought the new modern glass door knobs I guess.. oh well I'll try and sell them and get modern ones.. thank you,