Attaching hanger to ceramic tile

Old 10-20-04, 06:14 AM
jmsca
Visiting Guest
Adhesive?

Ok, this is probably the silliest question ever posted here, but I'm at my wits' end! We're trying to attach a plastic hook to the ceramic tile in our shower to hanf a shower caddy off of. We've tried various kinds of sticky-back hooks, even those that say for use on tile, and all of them have fallen off the wall less than an hour after hanging the caddy (and yes, we did wait more than the recommended time before use). Any suggestions on how to get a darn hook to stay on the wall??

Thanks!

jenn, who'd like her soap to actually be in the shower...

Old 10-20-04, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
jmsca,

I'd recommend drilling through your ceramic tile and use a plastic anchor. This depends on your hanger but get one that can be attached with a fastener. Adhesives will not work well here as the weight will continually force it to dislodge. Use some silicone before applying the bracket to provide a "watertight seal".

Any good masonry bit ( or glass bit) will go through the ceramic. If you are using porcelain, you will have to step up to a diamond bit. In both cases, use a little water around the bit to cool it off. In many cases the heat causes more damage than the bit itself I use a piece of tape over the tile to keep it from "walking" .

A regular drill will work. Don't apply allot of pressure, let the drill bit work for you. Don't use a hammer drill.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: