Removing old toilet seat

Old 01-15-05, 06:52 AM
Maintenance
Visiting Guest
Removing old toilet seat

I am trying to remove an old toilet seat to replace it. One of the bolts was stripped, and I had no problem getting it out, but the other one is rusted and no matter what I have tried(silicone spray, WD40, and elbow grease) I cannot budge it. I am afraid of cracking the bowl. Any suggestions?
Thank you

Old 01-15-05, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maintenance, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Looks like you need one of those hacksaw blade holders that you can get into tight spaces. They are a handle that leaves 3 or 4 inches of the blade sticking out and you can cut in a very limited space. Good luck.

Old 02-07-05, 01:29 AM
K
Most likely the nut underneath is plastic, and expendable as the new seat comes with nuts. Cut, nip, or mangle it off the rusted bolt.

Old 02-11-05, 09:20 AM
ERTheHandyman
Visiting Guest
Blowtorch

I've used this method to get rusted bolts off the toilet seat. If the nut is plastic be careful or dont', the plastic will melt. Heat up the nut with a blowtorch. Loosens up the nut by expansion. Another good spray to try is PB Blaster. I used it on my truck when I need to get a rusted bolt off.

Old 02-11-05, 09:27 AM
It would NOT be advisable to use a torch near the coating on toilets. It is ceramic and will "explode" if too much heat is applied. Very sharp pieces.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: