Drywall with Cement block 1/2" behind

Old 02-16-05, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drywall with Cement block 1/2" behind

I am trying to install a towel bar in basement bathroom - Drywall is only 1/2" - 5/8" in front of cement block. Anchor won't go in deep enough to work. Any Ideas? Unfortunately this wall is the only available for towel bar and TP holder.

Old 02-16-05, 10:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi MB McProc,
- I had the same situation in a basement bathroom recently. I got EZE Anchors from HD and started them into the drywall slowly, then removed them after the first thread, cut off the tips and re-inserted them . It worked great, solid as a rock .

Do it Right - do it once.

Old 02-17-05, 04:32 AM
EZE Anchors? Are those the large threaded plastic anchors? What did you use to cut off the tip? What size screw did you use?

Old 02-17-05, 09:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi MB McProc,
-the plastic EZ Anchors come in 3 sizes, the large one, which I'd recommend here is 1 11/16 long in total, but 1" when the tip is cut off (with wire cutters). DON"T forget to drive it in whole first, to create at least one full thread before backing out and snipping ! This should just seat exactly with your spacing. It takes a #8 screw, and I picked a 1 1/4 ,#8, SS sheet metal screw with c/s head. It fit perfectly.
The EZ Anchors are by a company called Buildex, (or Paulin in Canada) I carry all 3 plastic sizes and a bigger metal one in my service van, as they're so handy. I can almost guarantee once you use them you'll be a convert !

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 02-19-05, 03:44 AM
K
Get a few spare anchors because they occasionally shatter when clipped.

Old 02-20-05, 05:32 AM
Situation Resolved

Eze anchors didn't cut it - space behind drywall way too shallow even after snipping off tip & a couple of threads. Went to HD and explained problem to 2 of their "best & brightest" and they called in reinforcements - ended up buying a 1/4" mortor bit, and lead sleeves/shields - that worked! Solid as a rock and previous holes are patched & painted, wall, towel bar and TP holder all look Great! Thanks to all of you for your input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: