John Boos Shelf-Pot Rack Assistance PLS

Old 03-03-05, 04:42 PM
SenorPeaches
Visiting Guest
John Boos Shelf-Pot Rack Assistance PLS

We just got a gift of a 48" John Boos Stainless Steel Shelf & Pot Rack and intend to seriously use it (versus plopping decorative tschotkes on it). The ONLY wall we can hang it on in our very small kitchen is a wall that seems to have NO studs in it and very very thick plywood behind drywall. Shelf only came with stud bolts, what would folks recommend? Toggle bolts strong enough to keep this shelf up and happy with 150-200 lbs on it? Any suggestions? Should we think about affixing an extra piece of wood and fastening shelf to that? Should we think about hiring professional? One thing we want to avoid is a less than great solution that allows shelf to crash down, no no.. thank you very much

Old 03-03-05, 08:56 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Technically Speaking:

You should add another stud horizontally to attach it to. This would entail tearing out some drywall and patching it again. You would need to the horizontal stud in from outside of the studs that are 16" on center.

There are some screw in anchors that will hold 150 lbs, but I wouldn't trust it with "just" anchors and not hitting any wood

Old 03-04-05, 01:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi SenorPeaches,
- did you just miss my thread "New wall anchors" ? -or not understand what I was referring to ?

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 03-04-05, 06:14 PM
SenorPeaches
Visiting Guest
Red face re: new Wall Ancors

Originally Posted by nomind
Hi SenorPeaches,
- did you just miss my thread "New wall anchors" ? -or not understand what I was referring to ?

Hello Nomind:
i did see your posting but since you refer to the 50lb. weight limit didn't really think it would be applicable. This shelf will have close to 150 lbs on it. Do you think these anchors would securely hold? And is it general wisdom to find the stud (i.e. is there such a thing as a studless wall?) for toggle/molly bolts , these kinds of anchors etc.? Thanks in advance for your patience with my obvious "beginner" questions.http://forum.doityourself.com/newreply.php#

Old 03-05-05, 09:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi SenorPeaches,
-If you use the standard steel 8" 'L' brackets, under, or above the shelf, then you will have 4 togglers or anchors into the wall. This should adequately support 150 pounds. These are by far the strongest toggler type anchors I've ever seen. It would naturally be better to find the studs if you can, and use large screws, but that may not be suitable in your application.

Old 05-01-05, 05:01 PM
A wall without studs would be a most unusual house. You mentioned heavy plywood behind the drywall. This could be a fire-code wall, or sometimes called a party wall. The plywood makes some stud-sensors unreliable. You could test drill small pilot holes; this will require some minor patching.

If the plywood was at least 1" thick ( e.g. 2 pieces of 1/2) that alone may be strong enough to hold your screws. Otherwise, look for studs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: