drilling through wall tile

Old 03-04-05, 12:54 PM
Lisa77429
Visiting Guest
drilling through wall tile

My shower is relatively new - 3 years old. I think it has that hardy backer stuff behind the tiles? Correct? I just had a custom made shower curtain rod (L-shaped but each end is equal in length) made with plates with holds at each end to drill screws through. I've been to several sites and most say to use a diamond bit or glass bit - no prob. Also to mark each drill site with an x in masking tape to keep the bit from sliding away from you. Makes sense. However, two sites said to use anchors. Can anchors be used in hardy backer stuff? Should anchors be used? It will be a free standing somewhat - only attached at the end of each L - equal in length. If anchors should be used, any special types or instructions?

THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-05, 09:13 AM
mdesciscio
Visiting Guest
I would suggest using a wedge anchor. simpson, or tapcon are a good brand. Basically drill your hole for the anchor insert the achor then mount your bracket and screw into the anchor. See if you can find a concrete anchor. Simpson wedge all is the brand I would recommend. This should hold just fine. I would just watch the size of anchor you get and be careful that you are not at risk of cracking your tile when you screw it in.

Good Luck

Old 03-07-05, 12:12 PM
You don't need a diamond bit for the tile. It'll cut beautifully through the wafer thin glaze, then bog down on everything else. A typical fluted masonry bit (smallest of these 1/4" though), or, better, a spade point tile bit, will grind through the glaze under moderate pressure and leave a tolerably clean hole with rim cracks no more than 1/8" around the hole. Because the cutting edges of these bits don't grab and pull the drill in, you can set the drill to maximum speed and carefully prod it through the glaze.

If long screws have wood to bite, then drill holes wide enough for the screw threads. If not, then plastic "expansion/wedge" anchors (which perform terribly in drywall) are just right here.

Old 03-21-05, 08:52 AM
Had the same problem recently and I rented a Hilti hammer drill that had a reduced hammer action that cut easily through my tile (use with standard carbide bit for concrete) with no cracking at all. I was surprised as all other hammer drills I had ever tried broke the tile in many pieces.