LEAD floor anchors

Old 03-13-05, 07:38 PM
Radio1ne
Visiting Guest
LEAD floor anchors

Need to install a metal bender in my garage/workshop floor. Since I can't have protruding bolts when its removed, I've located the old-style lead sleeved anchors with a threaded insert (the "nut" part) Problem is I cant find inserting tool. Can I tap the anchor to start it then use my Home-made inserter. (a short threaded rod or cut off bolt into the threaded part over which I'd place a tube/pipe that would contact the lead anchor part only. Then hammer in to set the anchor.Thanks.... Any help appreciated, specially from the fellow who sells anchors/fasteners

Dick Jenkinson
Engineered Benchwork

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-05, 04:21 AM
Not sure about the lead anchors but Hilti makes anchors with the female thread for concrete. They have a locking shim built in and work fine . Good luck.

Old 03-14-05, 01:25 PM
I think you're on the right track Radio1ne, but I'd use nut and washer on the threaded rod to support the plug as well, not a loose pipe, and throw in some epoxy too if the anchor must resist being pulled up.

Or if you'd like stronger, use plain threaded rod connectors in a hole with epoxy. Alternately use a torch and *add* lead.

Old 03-16-05, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Radio1ne
Need to install a metal bender in my garage/workshop floor. Since I can't have protruding bolts when its removed, I've located the old-style lead sleeved anchors with a threaded insert (the "nut" part) Problem is I cant find inserting tool. Can I tap the anchor to start it then use my Home-made inserter. (a short threaded rod or cut off bolt into the threaded part over which I'd place a tube/pipe that would contact the lead anchor part only. Then hammer in to set the anchor.Thanks.... Any help appreciated, specially from the fellow who sells anchors/fasteners

Dick Jenkinson
Engineered Benchwork
You want an anchor called a drop-in. It gives a female thread. You can get them at Big Box stores. A tool is needed to install them properly, but a blunt punch will work in a pinch. The HILTI ones have a ridge that prevents them from being installed too deep. A 3/8 inch anchor requires a 1/2 inch hole.

Old 03-21-05, 08:45 AM
I have used the Hilti anchors many times with good results - just have to make sure you have a thick enough slab to set them in. A 3/8" diameter drop-in takes about 4" of concrete and make sure you do not use in conjunction with epoxy or it will not hold at all.

Old 03-21-05, 09:23 AM
Wink

I dont see why that pipe you have wont set the lead anchors in the floor. Dont forget to put bolts back in them when you done so dirt dont get in them on you.

ED

Old 03-28-05, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
I usually use standard floor anchor bolts. I drill the hole in the floor all the way through (usually 4" to 6"). Install and use your anchor bolt as normal. If you don't need it any more just get out the hammer and drive it right on through the floor. If you drilled all the way through the slab the anchor will get pushed down into the gravel or dirt under the slab.