Curtain Rods on Drywall

Old 05-26-05, 09:52 AM
vigarg
Visiting Guest
Curtain Rods on Drywall

Hello all,

I am a new home owner and have to put curtain rods on drywall. I have bought drywall screws from HD. However, before I begin my journey, I wanted to see if someone can provide me with the do's and don't of installation of curtain rods on drywall.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
vigarg

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-05, 10:22 AM
hi
if your putting those close to the window frame you will need 2 inch drywall there a stud close to the frame.
if it farther than the frame you will need wall anchor to support the rod

Old 05-29-05, 03:00 PM
The original purpose (though they have become a very multi-purpose screw) of a "drywall" screw is not for mounting objects to drywall....it is for the actual installation of drywall.There are better screws to use for mounting purposes than drywall screws depending on the situation.Many times the head shape makes drywall screws less practical for use in a bracket such as a curtain rod bracket.Either "sheet metal" screws or round head wood screws will work better usless by chance the holes in the brackets are countersunk.As was stated if the mounting points are not either into the window frame or within a couple of inches you will need a wall anchor.Often packs are available with screws and anchors together.Be sure to use the right sized bit and a masonry bit run at lower speed will perform better than high speed bits as drywall is a form of masonry and will dull high speed bit quickly.If the curtain rod is heavy then a stronger anchor such as a "molly bolt" will hold more weight.Non hardware stores may have these on cards simply labeled as a drywall anchor.Hardware stores will have adequate personel to instruct you on your mounting needs and how to use whatever is best.Big boxes will just have packages and you're on your own.

Old 06-08-05, 02:04 PM
If you have some kind of awl or other pokey thing, push it in wherever a screw will go. You'll know if you hit wood, metal, or hollow. Don't worry about the oversized hole in the insubstantial drywall, it won't affect the fastener.

If wood, use screws long enough to grab about 1" wood through the 1/2" drywall (just about any screw can be found in 1-1/2" size).

If metal, near the surface, that's a thin drywall corner bead and best not disturbed as it can peel up and crack your paint. Better screw >1-1/2", <3-1/2" from the corner, missing it, and expect to hit wood.

If hollow, use drywall anchors. Anything but the cheap, one-piece plastic expansion anchors that probably came with the hardware. I like the E-Z Anchor type, personally.