Attractive Hanger for Antique Tiles?

Old 06-12-05, 04:51 PM
Attractive Hanger for Antique Tiles?

I have two antique red clay tiles I want to hang in my kitchen. Each is about 5" square, and have a "u" shaped hanger embedded into the top of each tile. Any suggestions on an attractive method to hang these? A picture hanger or screw-into-anchor would both look quite ugly with these embedded loops. I thought of small cup hooks, but am working with sheetrock...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-05, 01:56 PM
You can use cup hooks, if you put E-Z type anchors into the wall first. Set the anchor flush or slightly inset, and patch/paint the anchor. Then screw the hook into the anchor.

They're so light you could just use a single nail tapped most-way-in at an angle for each one, I think. Personally I think dull old nails would go well with the antique clay tiles.

Old 06-15-05, 05:03 PM
Kobuchi,

Thanks for your input! If I'm right, the EZ anchors are those screw-in plastic doo-dads. correct? The only time I've used those successfully was in my sister's home to re-hang a short towel bar. Other attempts have just broken the anchor, 'cuz many of my walls are plaster lathe behind sheetrock... Whereas her home is WAYYyyy newer construction (sheetrock only).

I like the rusty-nail approach. Actually, I was thinking more of perhaps small hand-forged type nails, if I can locate any! Like a petite railroad spike kinda thing. How would I even FIND something like that?!?

Appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

Old 06-16-05, 12:35 AM
I'd like to provide you a direct link, but it seems every other day this forum has URL linking crippled. Perhaps this'll work tomorrow:

Old fashioned nails

That's the Lee Valley Tools & Hardware site -> Hardware Index -> Fasteners -> Nails and Tacks -> Square-Cut Nails