removing a mini stripped screw on a laptop?!?!

Old 06-14-05, 09:28 PM
hotsizzle
Visiting Guest
removing a mini stripped screw on a laptop?!?!

Hi,

I need some advice on what to do with a stripped mini screw on the underside of a computer laptop.

I have read all the options regarding stripped screw removal - drilling, extractors, etc. , but nothing covered removing it from a delicate/fragile base.

Any suggestions for removing a mini stripped screw on a computer laptop?

Thanks for your time and consideration,

JC

Old 06-14-05, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
Welcome JC !

If the screw only spins when you try to remove it, try taking the tip of a razor knife and carefully use it to lever under the screw when you turn it.
The idea is to lift up on the screw and at the same time try not to push down too hard on the screwdriver.

I do this often.

Old 06-15-05, 05:39 AM
hotsizzle
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by GregH
If the screw only spins when you try to remove it, try taking the tip of a razor knife and carefully use it to lever under the screw when you turn it.
The idea is to lift up on the screw and at the same time try not to push down too hard on the screwdriver.

I do this often.
I wished it spins - the head of the screw is stripped out not the actual screw. The screw will not budge because, for some reason, Dell used loctite on the mini screws. The top of the screw is also flushed with the base, so I am unable to pry anything under the screw head. Any other ideas of suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 06-15-05, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
Ah, I see.
The victim of the wrong sized screwdriver.

Sometimes the correct size driver will grip what's left or there is a less atractive option.
If you had a mini electrical wire cutter it may be possible to push the tip slightly into the plastic next to the head to carefully grip the head of the screw and turn it.
Another option is to drill out the screw with a small drill bit.
If you choose to drill it out I would suggest you purchase the most expensive titanium bit you can find as screw steel is quite hard. A 1/8" bit or smaller would do it.

Old 06-15-05, 07:12 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would cut a slot in the head and turn it into a flat head screw
I tend to use my Dremel for that sort of stuff
I would try a more worn down cutter (smaller) so as to keep case damage to a minimum
If it's really set into the case this may be easier said then done

Also my reverse (sometimes called left handed) drill bits and extractor (e-z-outs) do get quite small
The bit itself may work
They might have a tiny reverse bit and extractor at the hardware store

Old 06-15-05, 11:52 AM
hotsizzle
Visiting Guest
[QUOTE=GregH]Ah, I see.
The victim of the wrong sized screwdriver.

Sometimes the correct size driver will grip what's left QUOTE]

The simplest solution is always the correct one. I did not even consider using a larger/correct size driver. But I read everyones' suggestions and tried GregH's first. And wouldn't you know it, it worked! Now why did I not think of that?!?!

Thanks GregH and everyone else that responded, I really appreciate everyone for taking time out of their day to help me out.

Kindest regards,

JC

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: