Fixing bathroom cabinet to plasterboard with gap to masonry


Old 07-19-05, 04:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Fixing bathroom cabinet to plasterboard with gap to masonry

I'm new to this DIY business and am hoping there's an expert out there can help me !

I'm trying to fit a bathroom cabinet (estimated weight when full 20kg, with some weight in the door as this holds stuff) to my wall. I've investigated the wall and the left hand side where the cabinet is to be mounted is solid brick, the right hand side plasterboard with a small gap to solid brick (can tell by the fact I drilled a small hole and used the inside of a pen to test!)

The standard fitting kit with the cabinet has 50mm screws and universal fixings, but this would only allow about 10 - 15 mm of screw into the brick wall which I suspect would not be enough to prevent force being made onto the plasterboard.

Is it possible to buy longer screws and fixings, and will this be safe given the fixing will be into plasterboard, across a gap then into the masonry ? Or is it possible to drill a larger hole into the plasterboard a smaller one into the masonry behind it, fix a plug into the masonry and then use a spring toggle or something similar to strengthen the hold at the board ? The spring toggles seem to require an 8mm hole and the masonry 6mm possibly allowing this. Or should I give it up and take the cabinet back !!

Thanks a lot,
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-05, 06:48 AM
pgtek's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: north Carolina
Posts: 1,398
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
you could used the wallboard fastner the heavy duty type call moly bolt
there the one shape like pencil that when you turn the screw the collapse like a star to press the back of the wallboard
check it here
Old 08-03-05, 11:57 AM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,957
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's doubtful you have enough room on the drywall side for a molly bolt as they typically need a couple of inches clearance.

What you will need to do is anchor into the brick.I suggest what is referred to as "tapcon screws" or masonry screws.These are typically blue in color and have a coarse double thread.There is a specific drill bit for the various sizes of these screws.

What you do is drill a hole into the masonry surface and then basically screw the tapcon directly into the hole.You do not use an anchor of any kind.It is generally easier to drill the mortar joint than the brick itself but either can be done.

Your metric measurements suggest you are outside the US so I'm not sure if tapcons are available where you are.If not it may be possible to order them online.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: