Removing Rivets

Old 07-29-05, 06:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Rivets

I have a metal screen door that is attached using rivets. I'd like to take it off and spray paint it but how do I get out those rivets? and can I reattach it using screws instead? Or should I just leave it alone and paint it with a brush?

Old 07-29-05, 02:43 PM
S
Originally Posted by Micha
I have a metal screen door that is attached using rivets.

Attached to the house with rivets?
Wow, I guess I don't understand how it's attached
I can't see how you could rivet the hinge to the (wood?) door frame
Or is it riveted to the hinge that's attached to the door frame?
In that case it depends on how good the rivets are, but I suspect drilling them out would be the best bet
Re-attaching the hinge would probably require bolts and nuts

Old 07-30-05, 06:30 AM
Sorry I didn't explain that well. It's an inside bi-fold screen door. It works kind of like a interior plantation shutter that folds back against the wall and is attached with rivets to the inside door frame. Hope this makes more sense!

Old 07-30-05, 08:23 AM
You may want to check and see if Pop-rivets come in the size of the current rivets. You can buy or rent the tool to install them. You drill through the existing rivets to remove them. Good luck.

Old 07-30-05, 09:19 AM
this sounds like more work than is worth the trouble -- maybe i'll just paint the dang thing without taking it off -- although using a brush won't look nearly as nice as spray would....

Old 07-30-05, 10:20 AM
You can obtain cheap plastic drop cloths. Us them to protect the immediate area from over spray. I agree that spraying will produce nicer results. Good luck.

Old 07-30-05, 01:40 PM
.... it's a thought --- but i just put down new flooring and painted the walls -- don't want any paint settling on either!! Danged rivets!!!!

Maybe i'll just cover the blasted door with contact paper LOL!!!

Old 07-30-05, 02:02 PM
One last thought on your problem. I can picture the rivets holding the door on but I cannot picture the frame being secured the same way. Are there screws holding the frame to the house? May be able to take the whole frame out to paint. Good luck.

Old 07-30-05, 07:09 PM
No screws in there - just rivets. This is kind of a unique screen door I guess -- I'd never seen one like it until I saw this one. It swings on a piano hinge, which is attached to a narrow metal frame, which is attached (with rivets) to the door frame (my front door swings out, not in -- if that helps give you a better idea). Then there's another piano hinge in the center which allows it to fold in half and swing back against the wall when not in use. If you want, I can take a picture of it and email it to ya!! it's really quite a cool door, it just needs painting!

Old 07-30-05, 09:48 PM
S
OK, I'll bite
Micha, you have a PM
I'm having trouble with the rivets to the frame also
I'd like to see it

Old 07-31-05, 03:00 PM
S
No screws in there - just rivets. This is kind of a unique screen door I guess -- I'd never seen one like it until I saw this one. It swings on a piano hinge, which is attached to a narrow metal frame, which is attached (with rivets) to the door frame (my front door swings out, not in -- if that helps give you a better idea). Then there's another piano hinge in the center which allows it to fold in half and swing back against the wall when not in use.

Well, now...
After seeing the pics I must say that is a fine description
I've never seen anything like it, but it's attached to the door jamb with rivets
In fact the whole door jamb appears to be attached to the door frame with rivets
Could your door (and/or house) be framed with metal or other non-wood material?

Old 07-31-05, 03:01 PM
S
PS It is quite a cool door

Old 07-31-05, 06:47 PM
Yes, it is framed with metal and I hate it!

So now that you've seen it -- what do you think about painting it?? Brush?

Old 07-31-05, 07:17 PM
S
Brush would be the safest bet
I would much rather spray it
With a drop cloth and judicious taping and newspapers, it's do-able
You'd have to have confidence in your abilties to shield everything from overspray

Old 07-31-05, 08:48 PM
Only way I'd trust my ability to protect everything would be to hang plastic from the ceiling around the door area, sealing off about a 4' square! I could open the door for ventilation (if I can stand the humidity that long!). Can you recommend a good spray paint that won't require 2 or 3 coats? I think I'll need to spray it with Kilz first to try and cover up that blue! I want to paint it white!

Old 08-01-05, 07:31 AM
S
Only way I'd trust my ability to protect everything would be to hang plastic from the ceiling around the door area, sealing off about a 4' square!

That's what I would do

Can you recommend a good spray paint that won't require 2 or 3 coats? I want to paint it white!

Boy, you won't believe this but I really avoid using rattle cans except from Eastwood Co.
They are the best I've run across, but they are an auto resto specialty company
As a result my lawn furniture is the color of an engine from a '71 AMC Javelin, and my mailbox is pre-war (WWII) Ford green
Unfortunately they don't have white (I did check for you)
Maybe try a local paint shop and see what they suggest
They may have a quick drying suggestion for your climate
Maybe you can get a few light coats on within a few hours
I'm sure the white will need at least two coats no matter what
I have used Rustoleum in the past (not nearly as good as Eastwood Co. ), just don't buy it from Wal*Mart, as they tend to cheese out on the propellent
You would have to be a little more careful to get a good finish and avoid sags

Old 08-01-05, 11:33 AM
.... gotta love a mailbox and lawn furniture with character!!
. . . wouldn't mind having a nice pearl white 1928 Pierce Arrow for my front door! LOL!

Anyway, thanks for checking on that for me! Ya know, I've used that spray paint for model cars before and it covers pretty well too. They might have white in that. Another thought I had is metallic paint. I'm wondering if I could get kind of a pearl white metallic at a paint shop. Or maybe I should check with a auto paint shop -- they might know of something good to spray that with. Ah, the possibilities are endless -- what about appliance paint?

I guess I've kind of wandered off the original subject of rivets and I'm now in the wrong forum. Maybe I"ll go over to the paint forum and see what I can find. But, as long as I'm here -- exactly how do you get rivets out? When you drill a hole in the center, does it just come out or what?

Thanks again for all your help. Maybe I"ll send another pic of the door when it's finished!!

Old 08-01-05, 12:56 PM
S
I didn't think about that, often an auto paint place can make you a spray bomb (rattle can) of just about anything you like...maybe even '28 P/A pearl white

Normally rivets must be drilled out and then replaced by new rivets, or if you can get to the "back" side, bolts and nuts
I've also ground them off with a grinder or grinding wheel

If you picked the right size bit it may fall out
If you went too small it may need some persuading, or a larger bit
If you go up a size and drill some of the non-rivet material it will just fall out for sure, but you may need a bigger replacement rivet
You can buy an inexpensive hand rivet gun

But see, the thing is, you need an open backside and thin strong material
You can't rivet to a piece of wood such as a 2x4
Sheet metal, angle iron, I-beam, yeah...wood, no
It's just so weird to see them in a door jam as doorways, the vast majority anyway, are framed out (under the jam) with wood

Old 08-01-05, 01:06 PM
S
Oh yeah, please send pics when it's done
Thanks

Old 08-01-05, 01:16 PM
It's just so weird to see them in a door jam as doorways
I've found a lot of weird things about this house after I bought it -- previous owners apparently tried to 'fix' things they didn't have a clue about fixing!!

ANyway, thanks for the info on rivets -- they're just an annoying way of putting things together, it seems to me and every once in awhile I come across a situation where I'd like to take them out and never knew how!

I've been giving thought to the idea of attaching the plastic to the ceiling -- I think this might be the way to go. I could probably trust myself to sufficiently seal off that much space. I'd better get it right the first time though cause I'm sure it's not something I care to tackle more than once! Now if I can just get a decent can of paint . . . I wonder where that auto detail fella that I used to date is these days .......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: