How do I remove wall anchors?

Old 12-11-05, 01:28 PM
tbcookie
Visiting Guest
Question How do I remove wall anchors?

Can someone tell me, is there an easy way to remove wall anchors from drywall? The previous owners of our house have eight of these things in the master bedroom alone, and they're eyesores. Help?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-05, 05:58 PM
tbcookie, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You didn't say which type anchors they were so I am taking a guess at the plastic ones. Take a razor knife (utility knife) and carefully cut around the underside of the piece sticking out of the wall. The push the rest into the wall and patch the hole. Quicker way is a grinder if you are careful. Good luck.

Old 12-12-05, 10:27 PM
If they are the metal one, use a hammer to recess them below the surface and use joint compund on them just as if you were covering a nail hole. Had to do that to a lot of walls when my parents moved into a house where the families duaghter had all kind of baton twirling trophies. I just set them with a hammer like I was setting a nail and put two coats of compund on them.

Old 12-15-05, 07:46 PM
tbcookie
Visiting Guest
Thanks to both of you...

...for the help and for the welcome.

The anchors are the metal kind. Sorry, yes, I should have specified.

These things are already flush with the wall. So, it sounds like I need to push these things in, rather than pull them out. (I had a feeling they weren't coming "out," unless there was some sort of release for those butterfly arms.)

And is it better to push them all the way in, let them fall, and patch the hole, or to simply recess them and patch over? (Or is it simply a matter of personal preference?)

I think I'm game for ramming them in and letting them drop. (Ok... well, maybe a bit more gentle than that.)

Thanks again! I'm so looking forward to getting those things outta there.

Old 12-15-05, 08:32 PM
If you can just recess them a bit, thats the way I would go. Then you could just run a thin coat of drywall compound over them and avoid shrinkage from filling holes.