fastener for shadow box, sort of

Old 12-18-05, 03:21 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fastener for shadow box, sort of

Let me describe the item. It is 9 antique lantern slides which are handpainted glass slides inside of a mahagany frames, Germany circa 1850. My mother built a pine frame to be able to combine these nine slides 3x3 in a frame. There is an outside frame and molding between the slides. I have taped a string of Christmas lights around the frame and in between, but the tape held for a season. Is there a fastener I have not thought of to fasten these lights around the back of the frame. I cannot hammer, the frame is too fragile and the slides are glass. The molding between the slides is about 1/2 inch wide. The reason I need the lights is because you cannot see these slides unless they are lit up from behind. These are the mini lights I am referring to, the kind seen all over.

I looked thru ebay to see if I could find a picture similar to the lantern slides I am referring to and I found something like it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEWTON-Co-Highes...QQcmdZViewItem

Item number: 6236331674

I am including this because when I write lantern slide, it may make others think of a more modern type of lantern slide.

Old 12-18-05, 08:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
fastener for shadow box

Get some dual heat hot glue, and fasten the wire to the frame with the hot glue. It will hold indefinitely, and you can remove it carefully at a later date if you want to, by peeling it with your fingernail. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-20-05, 05:53 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
glue gun

Is a dual heat glue gun different than a regular glue gun? Someone gave me a hot glue gun years ago for Xmas, but I never knew what to do with it (it still sits on my basement shelf.) Will there be a safety issue putting hot glue on a electrical wire? If there is no safety concern, it sounds like a great idea. thank you.

Old 12-24-05, 08:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
fastener for shadow box

No, the dual heat is a designation on the glue itself. There will be no problem gluing the electrical wires, since you are only dotting the glue and placing the wire in the glue. Just don't hold the tip of the gun on the wire, as it will fry the coating.
I use dots of hot glue to run indiscreet wiring in corners or along baseboards to keep a bundle of wire off the floor.
Good luck with your project, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: