HELP!...screw and collarless anchor stuck in wall

Old 01-02-06, 03:05 AM
Unhappy HELP!...screw and collarless anchor stuck in wall

I got an "assemble-it-yourself" space saver cabinet--one of those things that go over the toilet? Anyway, it is top heavy and needs to be screwed to the wall, which they give you materials for...collarless plastic anchors and screws. Well, I got confused—no surprise there if you know me—and thought that in order for the back part of the anchor to expand that you had to screw in the screw and then remove it. So, I put in the anchors and then I put in the first screw, but when I went to remove it, it doesn’t want to be removed. In fact, it is burrowing itself deeper into the hole. It is now slightly recessed. Is there any hope of salvaging this? I thought if I could get the screw out, I could just poke the anchor on in and let if fall, then use a bigger anchor and screw in its place, thereby salvaging the other anchor (which is in the wall—minus the screw thank God!), and not putting more holes in my wall. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-06, 07:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
screw stuck in wall

Kathy. On the one where you may have to remove it, go ahead and punch it into the wall, CAREFULY. Purchase a winged molly screw, probably 1/8", install the screw into the unit, and the wing molly onto the screw. Push it into the hole you made, carefully, and allow it to expand behind the wall and tighten the screw by pulling back on it while you screw it in. That way, you will have salvaged the hole and I don't think you would be able to get a larger screw to fit the hole. Good luck.

Old 01-03-06, 06:49 AM
I don't like using mollies on walls, but chandler's suggestion is the best I can think of