P/T fasteners {Post Moved}

Old 01-08-06, 07:22 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
P/T fasteners

I was ignorant of the fact that the ACQ P/T lumber I'm using for my bottom plates requires special fasteners to resist corrosion until I read an article about it on the Internet yesterday. I've been using standard 3" Paslode framing nails to attach the studs to the bottom plate. Is this going to be a concern in the future and should I change the nails I'm using? I was also using standard ramset nails, I had noticed the ramgaurd line but didn't pay attention to note it was for P/T wood. I'll start using those for attaching the plate, just not sure about framing. I'm using the standard above ground grade .25 pcf.

Old 01-08-06, 02:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
ACQ now required the use of hot dipped galvanized nails to prevent the corrosion from setting in. Ramset pins, on the other hand are aluminium, and won't corrode like steel will in the ACQ. If you are worried about the downline effects, you could always screw the studs to the bottom plate with DeckMate screws, which have a coating to protect them from corrosion.
Are the Paslode nails galvanized ring shank nails or just coated steel?

Old 01-08-06, 03:47 PM
K
A buddy gave them to me with the Paslode but I'm pretty sure they're the bright smooth 3" nails.

Old 01-10-06, 01:26 PM
K
Where to find hot dipped nails?

My buddy took the Paslode back for awhile so I'll be doing some of the framing with hammer and nails. Walking through the Home Depot nail isle the only hot dipped galvanized nails I saw were for the nailers. I couldn't find any boxes of individual hot dipped galvanized nails...only hot galvanized (which I've read will corrode in ACQ). Anyone know where to look for a box of these things?

Old 01-10-06, 01:32 PM
W
Originally Posted by kwhite
My buddy took the Paslode back for awhile so I'll be doing some of the framing with hammer and nails. Walking through the Home Depot nail isle the only hot dipped galvanized nails I saw were for the nailers. I couldn't find any boxes of individual hot dipped galvanized nails...only hot galvanized (which I've read will corrode in ACQ). Anyone know where to look for a box of these things?

Find the section where they keep their Simpson Strong-Tie brackets and such, usually near the lumber. Simpson makes a very nice hot-dipped nice galvanized nail, they come in clear plastic boxes.

Old 01-10-06, 07:32 PM
K
Found em, thanks!

Old 01-11-06, 06:19 AM
F
acq fasteners include stainless steel, triple electro coat, hot dip, and ceramic. i would go back and drop some anchors in the plate and re-nail the studs with the gavanized ring shanks mentioned above. if you can't find gavanized anchors there are plastic sleeves available for pre-set anchor bolts that may work. they isoloate the shank and nut/washer from the acq material

Old 01-11-06, 02:14 PM
K
You don't think the ramgaurd ramset nails will be sufficient to safely anchor the plates?

Old 01-11-06, 03:26 PM
F
i don't think they are aluminum. if they are, they'd be the first i've ever seen. at best, cad plated steel. if this was a small, non load bearing wall i might let it go but it would always be in the back of my mind. alot easier to fix it now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: