Mounting shower door to glass blocks. Fasteners to use?

Old 01-25-06, 07:41 AM
Mounting shower door to glass blocks. Fasteners to use?

I was wondering if it is possible to install a pivot type shower door in a shower with one wall being tile and the other side of the opening being glass block. I assume I can screw the track to the tile wall but is there any way to mount the track to the glass block wall? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-06, 03:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think it important to mount your hinge side on the tile, and let the latch rest on the glass brick side. If that is possible, then you can use a glass drill and install a neutral color molly (not orange or green or blue) into the hole. Using a good bead of silicone on the latch frame, place it against the block, and install your stainless steel screw, by hand. You don't want to put alot of pressure on the glass. Just enough to draw it tight until the silicone has time to cure. The silicone will provide adequate adhesion. Of course you will want to silicone the edges once it is cured to dress it up. Post a pix when you get it done.

Old 01-27-06, 04:20 PM
You're taking a chance of cracking the glass block by drilling holes in them. The track can be held in place with clear silicone. Make sure that the track & glass surfaces are perfectly clean before applying the silicone.

Old 01-27-06, 05:07 PM
Just Glue It

Fasten the hinge side to the tile.

Clean the glass and the track.

Glue the other side to the block with a good quality silicone. You can go to www.sealantsandcoatings.com and get stuff that isn't available at the store.

A clear sealant called Lexel works good.

Cut some pieces of wood to wedge in the opening to hold it tight to the block. After that has cured, run a bead on the inside and outside corners.

It won't ever come out unless you cut out the silicone.

Silicone usually can't be painted. Polyurethane can.

Old 01-29-06, 11:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I yield to the two latest posts. I forgot about Lexel. Gee, this stuff will stick a truck to your ceiling, and would be the ideal medium for attaching the strike side of the shower door to the glass. As noted, be sure it doesn't ooze past the edge of the frame, as it is not paintable. And most of all, don't get it on your hands or any other surface you treasure, as it laughs at laquer thinner.

Old 09-02-08, 11:10 AM
would this work if I needed to glue a shower door inbetween two glass block walls?

Old 09-02-08, 01:47 PM
I assume you mean a hinged or pivot shower door. I don't know if I would trust the hinge side since there will be stress when the door is opened & closed.