hanging on concrete

Old 02-01-06, 11:26 AM
hanging on concrete

My wife and I bought a house and were moving in the end of this month. One of the projects I've been working on is getting structured wiring in this house. So I have all the components I need (minus all the wiring that will run all over the house...that I'll get closer to settlement time) currently mounted on a piece of plywood that's two feet by two feet and about a quarter inch in thinkness. I can't get a good weight estimate because my electronic scale doesn't seem to like me when I hold in...but I would say when everything is mounted on it, it's around 20-25 pounds.

So I'd like to mount this in the utility room which is in the basement. Currently the previous owner put up styrofoam and then a pegboard over the concrete. If I don't have to remove these that would be nice. I'd rather just mount the plywood on top of them.

I was thinking of going with the tapcon screws for the job. Since most boxes come with 75 or 100 screws, I figured I would do around 12 screws evenly aligned. Looking at the different sizes, I think 3/16X2-2 3/4" should be ok.

So my question is....are tapcons are good choice? I haven't used them before but they were recommended by another co-worker. Are 12 screws an overkill? I'd rather have more then less since this equipment will be running the phone, data, and cable to my house.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-06, 04:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1/4" plywood is probably too thin to do any good. We usually make them out of 3/4" plywood, which will allow for attaching heavier items to it. The thinner plywood isn't very friendly when the weight starts taking its toll. I would use the tapcons in the concrete without a doubt, but 12 tapcons is overkill, cooking, eating and digesting too much. One tapcon in each corner would be fine. Just because you have to buy 50 of them, you don't have to use them all at once. Be sure to buy the correct tapcon drill bit, also. You may want to space the plywood from the wall with a couple of washers under each tapcon. If for no other reason, you can run phone lines behind the panel to keep it a little neater.

Old 02-01-06, 06:16 PM
Thanks Larry, I just checked the thickness of the plywood and it's a 1/2 inch. Not sure why I though it was thinner. None of the components mounted on it are overly heavy. Were talking a cable modem, routers, distribution panels, and a switch. I think the heaviest part is the surge protector with everything plugged...but I was thinking of actually mounting that by itself on the side.

As for keeping things neat...not sure if thats going to be possible. I'm hoping to chop some 1 inch pvc piping to use to route the cables nicely to this rig. We'll see how well that works out.

The drill bit actually came with the screws....should I be worried it won't last that long and get another? i'm assuming it's ok to drill holes in plywood with this bit as well right?

Thanks for the advice!

Old 02-02-06, 04:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The blue bit you got will last a while. Is it a phillips bit? If you should ever round it off or break it, just buy a #2 square drive bit. It will really work better than the bit they included in the box. It won't tend to slip as much.
Check with Radio Shack or another electronics dealer, and see if you can get any "snake skin". This stuff is great for running cables. It will expand enough to get a bunch of cables in it, and when you pull it longways it will suck up really tight and look neat. Then you can put a cable tie on both ends to keep it taut. But the conduit is a great idea, too, just thought more information wouldn't hurt. Good Luck!

Old 02-02-06, 05:57 PM
I don't recall the bit being blue...but I didn't look that hard.

The screws are philips head.

I checked out the snake skin idea and it's awesome. I'll defintly get some to check it out. I don't know how much pressure the put on the wires. I think the tolerances on CAT5e are pretty good...but it never hurts to double check.

Thanks again.