Fastening 2X4 to Concrete

Old 02-08-06, 09:45 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fastening 2X4 to Concrete

Hi. I have large crawl space where we store old boxes, paint, etc. Part of the crawl space is a hardpan dirt floor that that slopes up the house foundation. I want attach a horizontal 2X4 to the foundation as an anchor for a storage shelf frame that will extend out about 4 feet out from the foundation.

Normally the shelf will hold light-weight boxes and such - maybe 10-20 lbs per Sq Ft. However, I want to make it so that I walk on it to retrieve boxes.

Here's the problem, I know beans about attaching anything to concrete. I hear people talking about anchors and Tapcons. It appears that Tapcons might be the way to go.

Is if reasonable to a 2X4 to a concrete wall with Tapcons and have it support a 200 lb person? Is there a better way do this?

I'd appreciate any help with this problem.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s., I apologize in advance if I haven't described this well.

Old 02-09-06, 04:13 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Dan - I don't think I would use Tapcons for this especially with a 4' shelf cantilevered off your 2X4 ledger. A 200# guy standing on the outer edge is going to put a bunch of stress on the bolts.
Supporting stuff is one thing, but if you plan on climbing on the shelf you might want to go heavyier. I would probably use anchor bolts. A 1/4" anchor properly installed has more shear strength and holding power than a Tapcon screw. Google on Tapcon and you can visit some sites that provide tech data for various concrete fasteners.

Old 02-09-06, 04:31 PM
F
i'm having trouble visualizing this setup. why can't you work from the ground up?

Old 02-10-06, 09:35 AM
D
I'm sorry I wasn't clear

Hi. I wasn't clear in my last message. Here is a link to a gallery that I set up to show what I'm trying to do. It shows the crawl space and two boards that represent the platform.

The 2X4 would be attached to the foundation and the top of the storage platform would extend out from that. The horizontal board in the pictures represents that top of the platform. The vertical board represents that posts.

The weigh of the platform would be taken up by the 2X4 on the foundation side and the posts on the open side.

Here's the link. During preview, I can't make it show up as a link. Please copy this to your browser window address. It should work.

http://marianneanddan.smugmug.com/gallery/1193030

I'll be happy to post more information and pics to help clarify what I'm trying to do. I really appreciate any help.

Thanks and regards,

Dan.

Old 02-10-06, 12:05 PM
W
Hi Dan - Well I guess a picture is worth a thousand words. I had completely misunderstood what you wanted to do. With that said I would still use anchors.

Old 02-10-06, 01:07 PM
D
Installation?

Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
Hi Dan - Well I guess a picture is worth a thousand words. I had completely misunderstood what you wanted to do. With that said I would still use anchors.
Wayne,

Thanks for the feedback.

Right now all I have is a Dewalt 18V hammer-drill for installing these puppies. I could rent some equipment I suppose, but I was hoping to do the concrete work with what I have. So...

How difficult is it to install anchors? Do I have to have special equipment to drill the holes?

How about Tapcon installation?

If I use anchors, what do you think a good spacing should be? Every 12"? 24"? Something else?

I know these are extremely basic questions, but I've never once had to drill a hole into concrete. My concrete knowledge is very limited..

Thanks and regards,

Dan.

Old 02-10-06, 03:55 PM
W
Dan - To be honest the best answer I can give on spacing is that it depends. Here is URL for the Tapcon site (WWW.confast.com). They also offer tech specs on concrete anchors of various designs. I would have made it a link but I couldn't figure out how.
Expandable type concrete anchors are pretty easy to install. Just drill a hole to the size recommended on the box, stick it in the hole and crank it tight with a wrench. You shouldn't have any problem drilling with your 18v hammer drill you'll just need a quality concrete bit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: