Air nailer help

Old 03-23-06, 10:48 AM
Air nailer help

OK I bought a compressor with a brad nailer. The 18 ga brad nailer/stapler is fun and works great for small trim and panelling. The compressor is a 2HP/8gal oil type. It seems to have plenty of capacity for a larger nailer. Lately I started shopping around for a larger nailer and have some questions:

First framing nailers come in 28 degree and 34 degree. What's the difference and what should I think about getting? Why are there even two different angles? Which one will have the most available nails?

Second I have seen framing nailers that take from 2" up to 3 1/4" which would suite me perfectly. Would this be a durable trouble free alternative to say just a 2" or just a 3 1/4" nailer? I am mostly home DYIer and won't using it on a daily basis. HomeDepot guys were no help at all. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-06, 11:05 AM
I went with the Porter Cable FR350A. It shoots 2-3 1/2" round head nails. Its a very good and reliable nailer, 22 degree plastic collated. My local HD and Lowes carry the nails (something to check before you choose a nailer).

One thing to note about framing nailers: unlike finish and brad nailers they generally don't put the nail in to the head and draw the wood together, you'll need a couple whacks with the hammer to do that.

Depending on your plans you might find a 15 gauge finish nailer a better choice for a second gun. I use my finisher a lot more than my framer for general projects. For a finish nailer I use the Porter Cable FN250B.

Old 03-23-06, 11:32 AM
So yours is a 22 degree? That complicates things even more! I guess I need to find a good supply store and see what they carry mostly for nails. I also plan on using galvanized where I can. Thanks.

Old 03-23-06, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by DB Coop
So yours is a 22 degree? That complicates things even more! I guess I need to find a good supply store and see what they carry mostly for nails. I also plan on using galvanized where I can. Thanks.
I use almost exclusively hot dip galvanized nails. Yea, check your local suppliers, they can be real variable on what they keep in stock.

Old 03-23-06, 01:36 PM
The FR350 is a good gun, the 3.5's are good for framing, the 2-2.5's for plywood.
It will put the nail below the surface, you just need to adjust the depth and make sure the pressure is at least 100 PSI at all times. Only times I've had to finish with a hammer is for toe-nailing.

Both Home Depot and Lowes carries the nails for this gun at about $40 a case last time I bought them.

Old 03-23-06, 07:51 PM
Framers either shoot 28 degree (or about that) full round head nails, or 33-34 degree clipped head nails. Both do the same job but their nails are not interchangable. The concern is that some places ban clipped head nails, so a safer buy is the full head gun.

Old 03-24-06, 11:41 AM
Oh how I could've used one of these building my workbench.

Old 03-24-06, 05:22 PM
Hi DB - I have a Bostich N88H nailer that drives full round head nails to 3 1/2". It also will drive those stubby metal connector nails. That comes in handy if your area requires hurricane ties. I have never had a problem with it not driving a nail fully. I don't remember having to finish a nail with a hammer as long as I keep my compressor around 90 - 100psi. I normally buy my nails on line and have not had a problem gfetting nails. I'm a homeowner and a case lasts a good while. Whichever nailer you decide on, I suggest you go with the full round head.

Old 03-24-06, 07:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The only time I have had to "finish" a framing nail drive with a hammer is when I built a deck at the TrusJoist plant near where I lived. They wanted it built from pressure treated Paralam. Each board is made by gluing and laminating under heat and pressure 1/8" laminations up to the dimension needed. With all the glue and pressure, even at 100psi, I had a bear of a time, especially toe nailing across two grains.
As far as the argument between Round Head and Cliped Head nailers, someone in Florida knee jerked when a nail head pulled off, and like "Ooooh what a good idea to mandate full round heads and ban clipped heads." I have never had a head pull off a clipped head nail. But that's why we have opinions, and advice is free and worth every penny of it.

Old 03-26-06, 02:00 PM
Some are oiless,watch out for that