Replacement bolt for Ikea chair

Old 03-28-06, 08:27 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacement bolt for Ikea chair

My daughter cross threaded a bolt into the back of an upholstered chair. The bolt is now sticking a quarter inch out on the back of the chair and will not turn in or out without a lot of force. I know the bolt and the female thread are damaged. I need a new bolt. I'll probably try to clean up the female thread with a tap. Does Ikea use metric threads? What size thread are they?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Seems like Ikea is missing some customer service opportunities by failing to offer replacements or even information on their web site.

Ray

Old 03-28-06, 09:48 PM
S
I would contact Ikea to find out what size bolt you are dealing with.Include any possible information concerning the specific chair.Undoubtedly the bolt is metric as Ikea is scandinavian based.Metric bolts can be in one of several "pitches" for each diameter...pitch being simular to threads per inch.Depending on the specific size and pitch the tap may be difficult to find and/or pricey considering the one time use.I would also inquire about replacement parts as retapping may or may not fix your problem depending on how damaged the peice is and what the quality of the metal is.

Old 03-29-06, 04:05 PM
R
I got a replacement bolt from Ikea

A trip to the Ikea store gained me a bolt that might fit. Again, Ikea customer service was marginal. I stood in line at the service desk but the person absolutely needed the "name" of the chair. She could not look it up, did not want to, and certainly didn't. A half hour of wandering in the retail area netted me the name of the chair. Now, back at the service desk, the person could not understand why KlackBo was spelled with a K. How the heck would I know, I'm not Swedish. Of course, he was not Swedish either. After multiple tries, he found something that sort of looks like what I need. I'll attempt to install it when I find a tap of the right thread and pitch.

Ray

Old 03-29-06, 06:29 PM
S
I would suggest checking into whether or not Ikea has some sort of 1-800 number or some other sort of customer service contact besides floor help in a retail store.Also I suggest you look for the best most full line hardware store with the most knowledgeable help to match your bolt to a metric tap as no big box (HD,Lowes etc) and not many retail stores in general will have help with the knowledge you need.Finally if the bolt you were given is not the right size and pitch and you attempt to retap to that pitch you will likely do more harm than good.I'd try to be as sure as possible it is the correct bolt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: