16d Penny Nails

Old 03-31-06, 02:41 PM
Question 16d Penny Nails

I have noticed at my local home improvement stores in Phoenix there is an abundant supply of 16d 3-1/4 nails for my air framing nailer (FR350a), yet unable to find the 3-1/2 16d nails.

In several of the buidling codes I had read online, it states that the 16d nail should be used for exterior framing (2x4). Some of the documents specifically state 16d 3-1/2 inches others conveniently state nothing other than 16d.

Certainly I realize that building codes vary by state and county but I am confused at what length to buy. Even on the internet, there are many more choices of 3-1/4 nails than for 3-1/2 16d nails for my nail gun.

Need some education on this topic. At some point will be building a garage and do not want any issues through the inspection process due to nail length of my exterior 2 x 4 framing.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-06, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mike-Phoenix
I have noticed at my local home improvement stores in Phoenix there is an abundant supply of 16d 3-1/4 nails for my air framing nailer (FR350a), yet unable to find the 3-1/2 16d nails.

In several of the buidling codes I had read online, it states that the 16d nail should be used for exterior framing (2x4). Some of the documents specifically state 16d 3-1/2 inches others conveniently state nothing other than 16d.

Certainly I realize that building codes vary by state and county but I am confused at what length to buy. Even on the internet, there are many more choices of 3-1/4 nails than for 3-1/2 16d nails for my nail gun.

Need some education on this topic. At some point will be building a garage and do not want any issues through the inspection process due to nail length of my exterior 2 x 4 framing.

Thank you
honestly when someone writes something like this and is worried about 1/4" on a framing nail. I have to think that maybe they should be more worried about how they are going to build that project. I prefer 3 1/4" because they don't poke through 2 2"x4" as much if at all. either is fine. No one is going to measure your nails.

Old 03-31-06, 03:11 PM
It could be the 3 1/4 nails are what is sometimes reffered to as "box" nails which are a bit shorter and thinner than standard nails.It could also be that the nails for an air nailer are a bit shorter.

At any rate I agree that nobody is going to measure your nails.

Old 04-01-06, 05:49 AM
OudeVanDagen
Visiting Guest
Mike:

You're right to have concerns about compliance with the various local codes. Don't assume anything; always check with the building department office wherever you're working and be safe not sorry.

For example; my hometown has very specific code and clearly states: "16d VC sinker" with a length of 3 ½-inch, vinyl coated (VC), and with a slightly tapered head (sinker), but the surrounding cities simply have codes that just say 16d and a shorter 3 1/4 inch with other coatings is acceptable for them. My hometown also has subcode officials that have tough "by the book" reputations known for splitting hairs while the other cities have reps that seem to be more cooperative. I've actually seen building inspections performed where nails, screws and other items are measured and photographed and samples are taken - placed into the same evidence bags police use. Some officials are very strict.

I worked for many years at a fastener supply house owned by a relative (former diy forum member NutAndBoltKing who is deceased) and your question about length as it relates to code was frequently asked, and so were questions about coatings and shank grip design. The counter staff knew all the various local codes and provided the customers with the right nail. That said; for years a 16d was 3 1/2 inch - period. Only recently has 3 1/4 16d been widely marketed.

In all honesty, with the high-tech coatings and gripping shanks available now-a-days the slight differences in lengths does not matter; but it's the same old story, where the dusty musty and rusty old building codes just have not caught up yet to today's product lines.

OVD

Old 04-13-06, 04:56 PM
ollie
Visiting Guest
Am I missing something. Isn't a 31/4" nail a 12p nail. Is this some kind of creative packing by nail manufactures.
Ollie

Old 04-13-06, 06:42 PM
OudeVanDagen
Visiting Guest
http://www.sizes.com/tools/nails.htm

Nail chart in the above link shows that ollie is right, but what can I say?

Old 04-13-06, 08:08 PM
Nail sizes are determined by style (common, box, sinker), and wire gage. A 16d common nail is 8 ga and a 12d is 9 ga. However, box nails have a thinner shank and a 16d is 10 ga.

Old 04-14-06, 08:52 AM
ollie
Visiting Guest
In all my references the length of the nail remains the same no matter the type. A 16p common, box, wire spike, casing or finish nails etc. are all 31/2' long. The dia. and head changes with the type.
Getting back the original post. The implacation is that a 12p (31/4") nail can be used in place of a 16p (31/2") nail for framing, I don't think so.If I'm wrong let me know.
Ollie

Old 04-14-06, 12:35 PM
Ollie - 3 1/4", 16d nails are commonly used for framing with pneumatic nailers in my area. Besides, as someone posted in an earlier thread, no one goes around measuring nail length.
IMO many building codes haven't caught up to current nail technology - yet. I suspect that a coated 3 1/4" nail probably has the same, or better, holding power as a 3 1/2" uncoated nail. Sooner or later that will be reflected in local codes.

Old 04-18-06, 12:21 PM
Just ask the building department when you go for the permit. Better safe than sorry.

Old 05-26-06, 03:53 PM
Smile 16d Penny Nails

First of 3 1\4 nails are more likely to be called 12d and not 16d,
So you know, that for framing you always use 16d and not 12 just
Because first of they need to poke thru otherwise its doesn’t do you any good
Beside it’s also the code in most states if not all. In the state I am in it is
(MA), 12d can be use when you nailing 2x4 or similar to a fixed wall or etc,
Not for framing.

Good luck

Old 07-10-06, 02:06 PM
There is a difference 16D

Mike
Depending on the type of project it can make a great deal of difference on the size of nail you use. The difference of 1/4 inch is minimal and you know as well as I that either is fine but if you are dealing with a government job where there are specifications to meet. I would suggest that you ask the Inspector onsite if he or she cares which you use. I have seen inspectors pull nails out and measure them. It makes no since but once it is put in writing what is required they are required to enforce them. Some don't care but some do, better safe than sorry.

Originally Posted by Mike-Phoenix

Thank you

Old 07-10-06, 04:11 PM
I thought this horse was long dead. If it really matters, Grip Rite makes 3 1/2", 16d nails for framing nailers. I've ordered them on line for several years through Amazon.

Now, can anyone answer the question - If a 12d nail is 9 gage and 3 1/4" long and a 16d nail is 8 ga and 3 1/2" long, what is an 8 ga, 3 1/4" long nail called?

I'll volunteer the first answer... 16d!

Old 07-11-06, 10:26 AM
The original confusion may be the result of mis-labeling at the local hardware/home improvement store. I checked with Bostich and Paslode, both seriously into the framing nailer/fastener market - both refer to their framing nails by length (and coating if applicable) - neither call their nails by d (penny). Fasteners for framing nailers are generally thinner than their Common counterparts (similar to Box varieties), and I saw some listings for 16 Gauge nails - usually shorter lengths. That may have added to the confusion.

I would check with my local building code enforcement office, to see what is acceptable to them. One phone call, cheap insurance.

Old 08-25-07, 09:16 AM
Technical Details
16d 'Short' 3-1/4" x .131" - Vinyl Coated, 21° Full Round Head
Smooth Shank, Non-Galvanized, Plastic Collated Strip Nails
Sturdy Cardboard Carton with Bi-Lingual (English-Spanish) Color-coded Label
Use with Grip-RiteŽ GRTRH350 - 21° Full Round Head Framing Nailer
4000 Nails Per Carton

Old 08-25-07, 09:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Note the date in the upper left corner of the posts. You have resurrected a post that is 1 1/2 years old, so it is probably not viable to anyone. But jump in, we look forward to your participation.

Old 08-25-07, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
I thought this horse was long dead. If it really matters, Grip Rite makes 3 1/2", 16d nails for framing nailers. I've ordered them on line for several years through Amazon.

Now, can anyone answer the question - If a 12d nail is 9 gage and 3 1/4" long and a 16d nail is 8 ga and 3 1/2" long, what is an 8 ga, 3 1/4" long nail called?

I'll volunteer the first answer... 16d!
Ahhhhhh...14d????