Dresser Drawer Slides


Old 04-04-06, 07:58 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dresser Drawer Slides

I have an older dresser that we have refinished and I have moved onto the process of replacing the rawer slides. The original slides have become warped over many years and no longer glide well/fell apart when I removed them. The problem I am having is that there is nothing comparable to these that I can find anywhere!!

Basically each slide is 3 pieces. A larger [ shaped piece with a smaller ] shaped piece that fits into the first. A plastic rectangular ball bearing piece fits over the smaller ] and sits between the two, holding them together as well. The actual drawers have thin sides, maybe 1/4" and are not grooved at all. The slide basically sits flush against the outside of the drawer side and two screws are put through the drawer side from the inside and then through the slide, pulling the slide tightly against the side.

The dresser was built with this specific style of slide in mind. The inside of the dresser is wider than the drawers by a bit and a piece of wood has been screwed in place at drawer level to attach the other side of the slide to. I thought that I could 'improvise' with a different style but any other type I have found adds too much width to the drawer/slide and won't fit into the opening.

The only other place I have seen this style of slide is on a computer desk. Actually I have seen them for sale but they are much smaller versions made for keyboard trays, etc. I have looked in many retail stores as well as the internet.

Am I going crazy? Or is this some specialty slide that was perhaps made by the dresser manufacturer in a twisted scheme to drive crazy any would-be furniture restoration attempts of the future!!?
Old 04-04-06, 08:21 AM
majakdragon's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: N.E. Arkansas
Posts: 7,813
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not sure if any of the slides in the link below will work for you but it's worth a look. The Hardware section in DIY Shopping has a number of different types of drawer slides. Good luck.

Old 04-04-06, 11:44 AM
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 4,320
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It may have been proprietary
There's no standard slide so to speak
It's just that most companies use something similar

If the slides in MD's link aren't what you are looking for, I'd try Rockler.com
They are probably basically the same, but sometimes Rockler has some specialty hardware not commonly found
Old 04-04-06, 08:33 PM
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Hamilton County, Ohio
Posts: 4,295
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Check at www.vandykes.com They specialize in supplies for antique restorers and wood workers.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: